issue with log preventing VirtualBox GUI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MrGenie

issue with log preventing VirtualBox GUI

Post by MrGenie »

Setup:

Through scheduler I autostart 4 virtual hosts: 3 openwrt and 1 windows client
Upon shutdown command all 4 are receiving the shutdown command(not turning off, but properly shutting down)

This works splendid for many years. Recently, not sure if it has anything to do with it, I upgraded to version 6 of openWRT and now sometimes, not always, after restarting I start the VirtualBox Manager, the GUI and it's empty!

from there on it remains empty. Nothing shown. Nothing I can manage.

To solve this, I close all VirtualBox Instances then go into the c:\users\username\.virtualbox folder and delete everything except the VirtualBox.xml file and it works again.

The real file though causing this is the VBoxSVC.log

I can delete all the other files and the problem is still there.

But the moment I delete that single log file, VB manager works again.

I would consider this a bug, but it might also be a setting issue.

I seriously wouldn't need that log file so maybe I'm missing a setting in VB GUI where I can "Archive" this log file so I start clean upon every reboot.

Yes I can write a script myself to do this but it's maybe neat if Oracle would fix this issue as I have read I'm not the only one with this issue since Version 6.

Again, it's maybe not even a 6 issue but some specific "whatever" only happening on some systems but it's definitely tied to the VBoxSVC.log file.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: issue with log preventing VirtualBox GUI

Post by socratis »

MrGenie wrote: Through scheduler I autostart 4 virtual hosts: 3 openwrt and 1 windows client
Upon shutdown command all 4 are receiving the shutdown command(not turning off, but properly shutting down)
Can you explain that in detail?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.