Keyboard and mouse not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Cancerman

Keyboard and mouse not working

Post by Cancerman »

Hi there!

I've been searching and testing the hints and solutions I found to solve my problem, but nothing changes the outcome. I want to install Rasberry Pi on a virtual machine in VBox 6, but when the ISO has loaded the install/start menu (like in DOS), NOTHING works. I can't move the selection line in the menu, I can't type a letter to make my selection, I can't click on the menu line I want to select. The system/VBox just freezes. I can't even close the window. I have to end the windows process.

I have set the video ram to 128 Mb, no empty USB filters, I have unticked and then re-ticked both the keyboard and the mouse input and clicked OK in between the untick and the re-tick, I have restarted my system (Asus Laptop, i7, 4 cores, 8 Gb RAM), uninstalled Hyper V, tried PS/2-setting instead. Nothing works to solve the problem. This is ridiculous. One shouldn't have to fix anything to get the absolute basic IO started/have it not to crash. Everything works fine in Win10 and all other apps, but not in Vbox. I mean...the keayboard works fine even in BIOS.

I hope someone can help me.

Regards
Pierre
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Keyboard and mouse not working

Post by socratis »

Cancerman wrote:I want to install Rasberry Pi on a virtual machine in VBox 6 ... This is ridiculous
This could also have simply been your post! :P

Who said Raspberry PI guests are supported? Where did you get it from so that we can try it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FlogToggle

Post by FlogToggle »

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have a specific version of the pi called Raspberry Pi Desktop (RPD) that can be found here downloads dot raspberrypi dot org slash rpd_x86_latest

FWIIW: I have downloaded that ISO image and installed it in VB6. I do not have the error reported by the OP and I also have most of the Guest Additions working.

I do have one problem and at the moment I am directing a query to the RPD forum (but may return here at some stage). The issue relates to the "type" of Debian image used during VM creation. I have found that choosing 32bit results in Guest Additions largely working, whilst choosing 64bit results in no Guest Additions working.

regards, Flog
Last edited by mpack on 13. Aug 2019, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do-obfusate URL.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Keyboard and mouse not working" usually means that the user created a broad USB filter, yanked ownership of USB keyboard and USB mouse from the host and assigned one or both to a VM. He discovers that VirtualBox is a host application and is hard to use on a host which has no keyboard or mouse.

Cure: with the VM shut down (not suspended), disable USB support entirely in the VM settings.