Link Clone VM cannot be attach anymore after remove it from VBox GUI Manager

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
edsuh

Link Clone VM cannot be attach anymore after remove it from VBox GUI Manager

Post by edsuh »

Hi all,
I created two VM ... the first one called "XP-BASE", and i created a link clone from that VM and named it "XP-DJP"
those VMs was working great

today, i copied "XP-DJP" into another drive ... and try to add that new VM from its new drive location. But VBox complain with error
A differencing image of snapshot {aea7bdd8-a4d7-4515-b0a8-5db5dc55c7a5} could not be found. Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {76123a3b-83fc-41da-9a95-ce19f6809e33}.
... note: those snapshot UUID is available in folder \SNAPSHOTS.

I try to add back the old VM from its old drive location (note: i'm not delete the file in old location, i just remove the link in VBox GUI Manager) ... VBox said the same error
A differencing image of snapshot {aea7bdd8-a4d7-4515-b0a8-5db5dc55c7a5} could not be found. Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {76123a3b-83fc-41da-9a95-ce19f6809e33}.
... it puzzled me ...

so i try that procedures to my other VM ... I had another VM named "XP-DUK" ... it also a link clone from "XP-BASE" ... I run it first ... and its run okay ... and then I do the same procedure like "XP-DJP" above ... copy the VM to new drive, remove the VM from VBox GUI Manager, and add the VM from new location ... and you got it ... VBox cannot add that VM from its new location with the same error we saw above, the old one also cannot be attached into VBox GUI Manager with the same error like above

What did i do in the wrong way ?

NOTE: My VirtualBox versi 5.2.6
edsuh

Re: Link Clone VM cannot be attach anymore after remove it from VBox GUI Manager

Post by edsuh »

look like it already answered here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86354