galaxy book 2 windows tablet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mr. Conolly

galaxy book 2 windows tablet

Post by Mr. Conolly »

I am getting a message when I try to install virtualbox. galaxy book 2 running windows 10 64 bit pro.

error msg:
32 bit windows host are not supported by this virtualbox release
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: galaxy book 2 windows tablet

Post by scottgus1 »

Right click "This PC" and choose Properties. The System window will open. About half way down is the line "System type:". Please post here exactly what that line says.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I presume that you tried to install VirtualBox Version 6. This version will only run on a 64-bit OS. Tablets quite often use the 32-bit version because it takes up a bit less memory. Version 5.2 should still run in this OS.
Bill
Mr. Conolly

Post by Mr. Conolly »

scottgus1 wrote:Right click "This PC" and choose Properties. The System window will open. About half way down is the line "System type:". Please post here exactly what that line says.
system type:
64-bit Operating System, ARM-based processor
Mr. Conolly

Post by Mr. Conolly »

BillG wrote:I presume that you tried to install VirtualBox Version 6. This version will only run on a 64-bit OS. Tablets quite often use the 32-bit version because it takes up a bit less memory. Version 5.2 should still run in this OS.
I downloaded the 32-bit version and it says that i need to download from windows store. bit there is no virtual-box available in windows store. In addition to that it has a read more tab, (that told me the system in in windows S mode)
The first thing i did when I got the device was remove from windows s mode to Windows Pro.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Windows S will not run any apps except those from the Microsoft Store. It is built that way.
Bill
Mr. Conolly

Post by Mr. Conolly »

BillG wrote:Windows S will not run any apps except those from the Microsoft Store. It is built that way.
Like I said that's the first thing i removed when I started using my device because i dont want limitations. The main reason i don't use apple.
that is changed to Windows pro, on day 1. NOT using Windows s
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Mr. Conolly wrote:64-bit Operating System, ARM-based processor
Vitualbox only works on x86 Intel/AMD CPUs, not ARMs. Sorry, you won't be able to run Virtualbox on that tablet.

(perhaps the installer found out it was an ARM CPU but had no error message for that? Just guessing...)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: (perhaps the installer found out it was an ARM CPU but had no error message for that? Just guessing...)
Sounds like a good bet to me. The actual error code is probably something like VERR_CPU_NOT_SUPPORTED, and the text explanation just goes with what this would mean in 99.9% of cases. I mean, who really runs Windows on ARM, and how many of those try to install VirtualBox?

Sad to say, but I think the OP bought a lemon. Very few third party Windows apps will run on ARM. In fact even in the above scenario I assume it will have been MSI (the standard Windows app installer) that gave the error message, not VirtualBox. Despite the hack, the OP is indeed locked into the MS Store.