How to fix Vbox VM the bridge adapter not consistently working/connection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pandapanda

How to fix Vbox VM the bridge adapter not consistently working/connection

Post by pandapanda »

I have vbox vm installed Siemens PLC TIA14 every time I using the vm connect to PLC with ethernet cable. the issue is everytime if I turn off the power of PLC and power on. The bridge adapter have to reopen to allow me get connection with plc/other devices,
the sequence like "device->network settings->attach to->NAT->save->wait for 2 seconds -> device -> network settings -> attach to ->bridge adapter->save"
how can I fix that issue?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to fix Vbox VM the bridge adapter not consistently working/connection

Post by scottgus1 »

If Virtualbox's Bridged had an issue where something else on the network power-cycling were causing VBox Bridged to crash and need a set-to-NAT-and-back, then lots more folks would report it. So this is something unique to your system & tasks.
pandapanda wrote:everytime if I turn off the power of PLC and power on
Is it safe to assume you HAVE to turn the PLC off and on? Can you avoid that? Sounds like this device is messing with Virtualbox or the network adapter's processes in an unexpected way.
I using the vm connect to PLC with ethernet cable.
Does this mean that the PC is no longer connected to a regular network while it is connected to the PLC?

It might help if you describe exactly how you set up the guest OS network to communicate with this PLC.
pandapanda

Post by pandapanda »

hello Scottgus1:
In my VBOX I installed win10.
when I debugging the PLC, sometimes I need powercycle the plc to test some function, so everytime I do that , I have to need a set-to-nat-and-back that will make the bridge adapter work.
in the vbox win10 I just manually set up ipv4 like 192.168.110.222 and my plc is 192.168.110.10.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Do you have a chance to test with a small network switch between your PC and the PLC?
That way the link on the PC side would stay up when you have to disconnect the PLC.
pandapanda

Post by pandapanda »

Hi martiin I tested before, thing is when I unplug and plug back, I have to do set nat and set back