[Solved] Starting any VM with VB6.06 now all fail

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lelapinblanc

[Solved] Starting any VM with VB6.06 now all fail

Post by lelapinblanc »

HW: Surface Book 2
WinVer: 1903 build 18363.86
HyperV off
Virtual Machine Platform off
Hypervisor off

VB error:
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
VB previously worked, recently had many Windows autoupdates.

Did complete reinstall of VB, rebooted. Windows firewall off, ESET security on

Read previous posts on this topic, this just recently happened and is more recent that previous posts.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone solve it?

lelapinblanc
Last edited by socratis on 20. May 2019, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Starting any VM with VB6.06 now all fail

Post by BillG »

I note that you have all the Hyper-V options off but it still looks like a hardware virtualization problem to me. The only time I have seen that error message is in posts where the problem has been VT-x/AMD-V.

You are on Version 1903 of Windows 10. You are not using sandbox, are you? It blocks use of hardware virtualization too.
Last edited by BillG on 11. May 2019, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
lelapinblanc

Re: Starting any VM with VB6.06 now all fail SOLVED

Post by lelapinblanc »

SOLVED. Thank you BillG. It appears that with Windows 10 on a Surface Book 2 there is not an option in the BIOS for toggling VD-x. I presume it is on by default. Looking further at the Windows features and the installed programs I decided to delete the VNC Viewer from the installed programs. That solved the problem.
jackpetrilli2

Re: [Solved] Starting any VM with VB6.06 now all fail

Post by jackpetrilli2 »

Culprit is Sandbox. Turn it off in Control Panel's "Programs and Features". That did it for me.

- Jack
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Starting any VM with VB6.06 now all fail

Post by socratis »

@jackpetrilli2
I'm not sure why you want to doubt 'lelapinblanc' when they say that they found the culprit, fixed the problem and the topic was marked as [Solved].

Just because you were facing a similar (not the same) problem, and in your case the culprit was the "Windows Sandbox", that doesn't make it a universal solution. There can be other factors involved. Case in point, the problem and solution in the case of 'lelapinblanc'...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.