How to enable Intel - Nested Virtualization ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kirankotari

How to enable Intel - Nested Virtualization ?

Post by kirankotari »

Hi Team,

Trying to enable Nested Virtualization for Intel CPU, May I know the steps ? if possible.

Thanks,
Kiran
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to enable Intel - Nested Virtualization ?

Post by mpack »

Nested virtualization is not currently (6.0.6) supported on Intel hosts.
VM-F4n[2]

Post by VM-F4n[2] »

omg, way not? :?: What's the reason? :?
Wer sich trotz Hilfe nicht bedankt, den sperre ich damit ich künftig weiß, dass ich demjenigen keine Hilfestellung mehr gebe!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VM-F4n[2] wrote:What's the reason?
According to the VirtualBox devs, Intel made it significantly more complicated to implement than AMD did. The Intel support is a work-in-progress so keep watching this space.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Alexander6

Post by Alexander6 »

Hi All, I just updated my virtualbox on 6.0.10 release. My host system is an Intel cpu (i5- third generation). I would like to know if I can turn the nested virtualization on for my Linux guest system. From the options under cpu tab the option is greyed out . How long anyone should wait for getting this option on intel cpus? I need to run some nested virtualization tests, but if it takes much time to enable it, I would swap on another hypevisors. Please let me know

Thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Alexander6 wrote:I would like to know if I can turn the nested virtualization on for my Linux guest system
I would like to know which parts of the previous answers you didn't quite understand; nested virtualization is available only for AMD CPUs, not Intel ones, as of this writing.
Alexander6 wrote:How long anyone should wait for getting this option on intel cpus?
The developers never reveal their plans/timeline. Can you imagine what would happen if they said "By Sep/2019" and they couldn't deliver? Everybody would yell "Murder!"... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alexander6

Post by Alexander6 »

Ok, could you suggest me another hypevisor ready to intel nested virtualization? Do you know if vmware player supports it ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No. I use exclusively VirtualBox.
Plus, I'm mostly on OSX, I doubt that if I were to suggest Parallels or Fusion (haven't tried either) would help you...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sigi70

Post by Sigi70 »

Alexander6 wrote:Ok, could you suggest me another hypevisor ready to intel nested virtualization? Do you know if vmware player supports it ?
Yes. VMware workstation/Player is capable of doing this. I used it for quite complex vSphere scenarios. At the moment switching to VirtualBox due to the fact that VMwareWorkstation is not supporting a bigger MTU size than 1500, which is not working with NSX-T. If you are fine with this limitation, Workstation is fine.
VM-F4n[2]

Post by VM-F4n[2] »

Now the feature is involved for Intel-CPU's in 6.1.0. :D
How to use it?
Is there a tutorial?
Wer sich trotz Hilfe nicht bedankt, den sperre ich damit ich künftig weiß, dass ich demjenigen keine Hilfestellung mehr gebe!
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Try the 6.1 User Manual Section 9.33
rion
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: xp, win7, freebsd, debian, ubuntu

Post by rion »

Just tried to start docker in Windows VM. Doesn't work. I don't know if it's Docker problem or VBox.
details: https://github.com/docker/for-win/issue ... -567097907
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rion wrote:Just tried to start docker in Windows VM
For the moment only VirtualBox-inside-VirtualBox is supported. Also, the related User Manual chapter, Nested Virtualization, lists some limitations. Maybe that's what's not working...