[FalsePositive] XP icons move around after each reboot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Rich Rich

[FalsePositive] XP icons move around after each reboot

Post by Rich Rich »

I just installed VB 6.0.4 on a clean install of Win 10. I created an XP sp3 ISO from an oem Win install disk. I created a virtual machine with it. Everything seems to be working but every time I shut down and restart the machine the desktop icons are all moved around. You reset them and again all on a restart they are moved all over. This never happens on a normal non-VB install. What am I missing. I don't think it's a setting in XP as again this does not happen on a non virtual box install. I did searches on "Virtualbox XP desktop icons" but found nothing on this problem. I did install guest additions. I am 1 week new to VB so sorry if it's a basic question. Rich
Last edited by socratis on 20. May 2019, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [FalsePositive].
Rich Rich

Re: XP icons move around after each reboot

Post by Rich Rich »

Guys, I got it. I was shutting the machine off with the "power off the machine" option. Just found that's like pulling the plug. Tried the "send the shutdown signal" option and it saved the icon placement. I tried the "save the machine state" option and when I rebooted there was an exception error and had to reboot again to get xp up again. I guess I'll just use "send the shutdown signal" option. Sorry for the false alarm. Rich
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: XP icons move around after each reboot

Post by socratis »

Thanks for letting us know. This is definitely not a VirtualBox problem as you found out. VirtualBox doesn't deal with your guests icons. As for properly shutting down, it's good to treat your guests as your hosts, with respect... ;)

Marking this as [FalsePositive].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.