seamless mode not working correctly.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
scxxxxxxxxxx

seamless mode not working correctly.

Post by scxxxxxxxxxx »

I installed fcitx on debian9, then I switched the seamless mode, here it comes:
snipaste20190501_134644.jpg
snipaste20190501_134644.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
The options menu becomes transparent...
which it should be:
snipaste20190501_135508.jpg
snipaste20190501_135508.jpg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
how can I fix this?
VBox.zip
(28.88 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by scxxxxxxxxxx on 1. May 2019, 09:18, edited 5 times in total.
scxxxxxxxxxx

Re: seamless mode not working correctly.

Post by scxxxxxxxxxx »

which it should be: ibb.co/1zm0S4Z
Last edited by socratis on 1. May 2019, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed non-rendering [img] tag to a 3rd party site.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...
  2. We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
    • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
    • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
    • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scxxxxxxxxxx

Post by scxxxxxxxxxx »

done.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you "scxxxxxxxxxx"! Much better... ;)
00:00:02.274880 Name    <string>  = "Whonix-Workstation-XFCE" (cb=26)
00:00:02.274880 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:04.686520 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads).

Not only that, but since you're using the Whonix-Workstation, which is supposed to be used together with Whonix-Gateway, I'm afraid that you're assigning way more CPUs to your combined guests than you can afford. Remember that simple rule:
  • Total CPUs for your guests + 1 Host CPU cores.
  • Total RAM+vRAM+overhead for your guests Host available RAM + some.
00:00:02.275096 3DEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
Shutdown the VM and enable the 3D acceleration option in the VM settings » Display.
00:00:02.056848 VirtualBox VM 6.0.6 r130049 win.amd64 (Apr 16 2019 10:52:04) release log
00:00:23.250930 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.24 r128122 '5.2.24_Debian'
Not only you have an older version of the Guest Additions (GAs) installed, but you have the forked version installed. You need to update the GAs.

With the VM window having the focus, go to the host's menu "Devices" » "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...". If not prompted by auto-run, run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" from the CD. Make sure there are no errors or suggestions during the install. You can safely ignore the "modprobe vboxsf" one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scxxxxxxxxxx

Post by scxxxxxxxxxx »

Thanks for your help!

I've tried your solution before, but the result was the same...
For this, I reproduced such operations, please check the logs.
snipaste20190501_180350.jpg
snipaste20190501_180350.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Logs.zip
(57.19 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
scxxxxxxxxxx

Post by scxxxxxxxxxx »

Any update?
scxxxxxxxxxx

Post by scxxxxxxxxxx »

up...
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

The log shows several
00:01:39.529217 GUI: UIMachineLogicNormal::sltCheckForRequestedVisualStateType: Rejecting 'seamless' as is it not yet supported...
So it's not really a surprise that seamless mode doesn't work correctly.

Now the question is whi it is not yet supported in your installation.
From https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... esswindows
"Supported Linux or Oracle Solaris guests running the X Window System. Support was added with Oracle VM VirtualBox 1.6."

Are you running a standard X Window System in your guest?
scxxxxxxxxxx

Post by scxxxxxxxxxx »

As I mentioned before, I am running Whonix-Workstation on VirtualBox and my host OS is windows 10 1809.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Don't expect exotic features like seamless to work with X11 clients. There is call for help from the developers for end-users to pitch in helping with this. 3D support for X11 guests.
In ticket #13653, michael wrote:Just to summarise the situation: we do not currently have free developer time (as in developers with the required skills who are not already taken up with other work) to investigate this bug, much as we understand that it is annoying to the people affected. This situation might change, but that is not something we can promise. Of course, I quite understand that if this means that something else fits any individual's requirements better than VirtualBox then it is a sensible solution to use that instead.

However, the fact that VirtualBox is open source means that users who are interested have another option to get changes made, by doing the work themselves or crowd-sourcing the work. If you go this way of course, please communicate with us before starting and while doing the work, as we hate to see work go to waste due to misunderstandings like mismatches with our development style. Though this is more a fix than a feature, so likely to be easier to integrate.

See also the X11 guest 3D wiki page. Windows guest 3D is not user-maintained, but we are still rather limited in what we can do.

I would kindly request that as of now people do not add unneeded information to this ticket, such as that this is still not fixed or does not work for a given person. However, if you would like to subscribe to the ticket please add a "me too" comment, and we will delete the comment and add your nickname to the "CC" list.