[Solved] No 64-bit OS option on installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BigGiantBrain

[Solved] No 64-bit OS option on installation

Post by BigGiantBrain »

Greets all:

I have downloaded the only available Windows Host install file: VirtualBox-6.0.6-130049-Win.exe

I am on a 64-bit Win 10 laptop, yet upon installation there is no 64-bit OS available...they're all 32-bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Apr 2019, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No 64-bit OS option on installation

Post by socratis »

BigGiantBrain wrote:Any suggestions?
Absolutely!
  1. Search before you post. I'm pretty sure that if you searched for the title of your thread, with the restriction for the VirtualBox forums (No 64-bit OS option on installation site:forums.virtualbox.org) you'd have found one or two thousand answers... ;)
  2. Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement... But your answer is there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BigGiantBrain

Post by BigGiantBrain »

Terribly sorry. I did, in fact, search...though not, apparently, as well as you.

Thanks for your response.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BigGiantBrain wrote: I did, in fact, search...though not, apparently, as well as you
Oh, I believe you. The key here is the restriction of the search to the forums...

Do let us know if you find what the culprit is...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BigGiantBrain

Post by BigGiantBrain »

Well, I did use the forum search feature. It never occurred to me to search Google, as one of your tips suggested. Sorry, old guy here.

The problem was exactly as your second tip suggested. I enabled the virtualization technology VT-x option in the BIOS and "Bob's your uncle".

Perhaps I'll pick a new user name :roll:

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BigGiantBrain wrote:Perhaps I'll pick a new user name :roll:
:lol:

Glad you got it going, marking as [Solved].

Tip: never trust a forum's search functionality when Google is sniffing everything, even where it shouldn't ;)