[Resolved] How to run scripts on virtual machine independently of guest OS?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Xuzo

[Resolved] How to run scripts on virtual machine independently of guest OS?

Post by Xuzo »

This is kind of hard to explain...but let me try!

What I want to do is run some scripts (AutoIT) on a virtual PC independently of my current machine.

Say the task is this, running in a loop, it operates on mouse moves and keystrokes, fetches clipboard text

1. Open notepad, type "hello" world
2. Copy "hello" with mouse, and then paste it manually 4 lines lower.
2. Save the file

Now when I run tasks like this simultaneously on Virtual Box, my host OS, mouse, keyboard and clipboard affects the guest host. Same thing with team viewer.

Short of running the task on a separate PC, is there a way to have tasks running on virtual machine that is independent of host OS controls?
master.png
master.png (41.78 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
Last edited by socratis on 20. May 2019, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to run scripts on virtual machine independently of guest OS?

Post by scottgus1 »

First, a bit of terminology: The "host" is the physical PC. The "guest" is the virtual PC running inside the Virtualbox window.

Run your Autoit scripts in the guest OS, the operating system you installed in the Virtualbox window. Don't run them on your host OS.

If you are already running the scripts in the guest OS, but movement of the physical mouse interferes, then try disabling mouse integration, or uninstall Guest Additions from the guest OS if you had them installed. See the Virtualbox manual about mouse integration, and see the manual and your guest OS help to uninstall Guest Additions.

You may also find it helpful to run a remote-control software in the guest OS that allows you only to view the guest OS screen, but not interact with it. Teamviewer may allow this, and I know Ultravnc (for Windows OS) does allow view-only. Then keep the window of your guest minimized, and use the view-only remote-control window to monitor the guest script.
Xuzo

Post by Xuzo »

Thanks Scott,

Yes, got it working finally, I just didn't understand the settings, had to play with them. Works great, but now I need more RAM!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Marking as [Resolved]. Duplicate thread removed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.