virtualbox 6 and esxi 6.5 memory shared

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
antonio7000

virtualbox 6 and esxi 6.5 memory shared

Post by antonio7000 »

hello
I am writing an example to help you understand the problem:

i use vmware workstation pro and running many esxi 6.5 with 32gb memory configuration and guest os is windows 10 128gb ram

we understand that I can't turn on many esx with 32gb because the ram is not enough:
vmware automatically makes the share of the ram and therefore if I poweron many esx with 32gb the ram used will be only the "real one of esx" and also shared with other hosts.
Example:
esx1 32gb = used 8gb of guest ram
esx2 32gb = used 12gb of guest ram
esx3 32gb = used 6gb of guest ram
etc etc
Free ram of windows 10 guest decreases only when exs1 or esx2 or esx3 use really ram and then release the ram. This is perfect solution for poweron many esx.

Virtual box example:
esx1 32gb = used 32gb of guest ram
esx2 32gb = used 32gb of guest ram
esx3 32gb = used 32gb of guest ram
etc etc
and windows 10 guest ends the ram
if the esx don't use the ram: however virtualbox does not free ram and I can't keep other esx turned on (is big problem)

i have use this command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage controlvm "VM name" guestmemoryballoon n
VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --pagefusion on
but I failed to recover the ram and share the ram between esx

help me

maybe virtualbox can't handle ram like vmware :( :( :( :(

thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtualbox 6 and esxi 6.5 memory shared

Post by mpack »

Can you pose the question in VirtualBox terms, i.e. one that doesn't make the assumption that we are experts in what VMWare does?

The devs might be expected to understand VMware. But this is a user forum.

I can perhaps clear up one common misunderstanding about memory ballooning: if you allocate xGB of RAM to a VM then xGB is the minimum RAM the host will lose. If you use memory ballooning then some of that memory can be shared between running VMs, but the host definitely can't have it.
antonio7000

Post by antonio7000 »

Thanks for the reply

I have already read your answers in the manual and to solve my problem the manual says to insert:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --pagefusion on
but it does not solve the problem, the ram between the various esxi is not shared

I could only ask in this forum, I certainly can't write to the developers

thanks
antonio7000

Post by antonio7000 »

Hello
you have email of developer for send my question via email?
thanks
Last edited by socratis on 15. Apr 2019, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

antonio7000 wrote:you have email of developer for send my question via email?
No. Your best hope if you want to try and talk to the devs directly is to use #vbox or #vbox-dev on IRC.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Antonio7000,

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
antonio7000

Post by antonio7000 »

thanks
attach for log of 3 esx
Attachments
log.zip
(49.63 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

"antonio7000", you had an exchange on IRC with "klaus". Do you want to summarize the key points for the benefit of future readers? TIA...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
antonio7000

Post by antonio7000 »

hi I describe what I understood

VirtualBox use two technologies to save ram:
  1. GuestMemoryBalloon
  2. PageFusion
These can be activated on the VM only by CLI command.
  1. Balloon : releases the memory that a VM no longer uses, checking if the memory allocated is actually in use.
  2. PageFusion: shares the same memory pages between several VM so as not to allocate another ram.
These two technologies do not release the host's RAM but can only avoid consuming other RAM, only VMware is able to free the ram allocated on the host.

These two technologies only work if the VirtualBox tools are installed on the virtual machine.

Esxi does not support installation of tools-virtualbox, "so it cannot use these two technologies"

On Windows you can install the tools so these technologies work.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you antonio7000...

For completion, from the User Manual see ch. 4.10. Memory Overcommitment and sub-ch. 4.10.1. Memory Ballooning and 4.10.2. Page Fusion.