Virtual Box doesn't show the network adapters

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sandro Meira
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 8.1

Virtual Box doesn't show the network adapters

Post by Sandro Meira »

Hello VirtualBox friends,

I have used a image from a PC with windows 8 to create a virtual machine. The virtual machine was installed perfectly, but the network adapter isn't shown in it.
The network adapter isn't show in Virtual machine
The network adapter isn't show in Virtual machine
Network connections in VM.png (17.61 KiB) Viewed 16191 times
I'm using a NAT connection in VirtualBox.
I'm using the same settings in others VM in the same PC, but in this VM it doesn't work
I'm using the same settings in others VM in the same PC, but in this VM it doesn't work
VirtualBox settings.png (32.58 KiB) Viewed 16191 times
I have tried use a bridge network adapter, but it didn't work.

I need use this image because I need the same enviroment in my VM used in a real machine.

Attached it's the settings of the network adapter in VM.

Someone knows a solution for that?

Thanks a lot,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box doesn't show the network adapters

Post by socratis »

Sandro Meira wrote:I have used a image from a PC with windows 8 to create a virtual machine.
What does that mean? Did you do a Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) operation? How?
Sandro Meira wrote:The virtual machine was installed perfectly, but the network adapter isn't shown in it.
What adapter? Your original adapter or your virtual adapter? Because if you're expecting the original, forget it.

BTW, the picture that you've attached doesn't show the Network Adapters, it shows the Network Connections. Are you sure you're looking at the right place?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sandro Meira

Post by Sandro Meira »

Hi,

I work in a company that create a image from one machine and put it in a area where the technicians can get it and apply in machines around the world.
I caught this image and I created a VM using this image. It worked very well, only the network card doens't work. The first image show the network connections of virtual machine.
Off course, I can't see the network adapter of the original machine (Realtek), but I can't see or add any network card.

Thanks,
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I still don't understand exactly what you're talking about, I'm sorry. Do you have any adapters yes or no? Because that 1st picture is not supposed to show the network adapters. From the guests, open a Command Prompt and post the output of the command:
  • ipconfig /all
It may be that you need to remove and re-add the NIC, or that you need to reset the network configuration, or the PlugAndPlay drivers. Don't expect a P2V to be an exact replica of your original. Your VM has virtual hardware...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Your screenshot above shows that you changed the virtual network adapter in the advanced NAT settings from the default "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop" to the "Intel PRO/1000 T Server" adapter (or used a VM template for a different OS version).
Windows 8 doesn't support the "Server" version of this adapter.
Could you try shutting down your VM completely, changing this setting back to the "Desktop" version of the virtual network adapter and try again?
Sandro Meira

Post by Sandro Meira »

Sorry, it was my mistake when I got the picture of screen.
I've tried with the "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop", but it doesn't work too, as you can see in the attached file.

Thanks,
Attachments
Placas de rede 8.png
Placas de rede 8.png (73.19 KiB) Viewed 16136 times
Sandro Meira

Post by Sandro Meira »

See below the result of ipconfig /all.

Thanks,
Attachments
Placas de rede 9.png
Placas de rede 9.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 16135 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yeah, something's screwed up. Go to your DeviceManager and remove every single network card in there. Then refresh to see if the network card is detected again. Reboot in between or at some point that the configuration changes.
Sandro Meira

Post by Sandro Meira »

I removed all network cards, but the OS doesn't remove them.
I removed the others devices, and after the refresh they return like before.
Attachments
Placas de rede 10.png
Placas de rede 10.png (44.86 KiB) Viewed 16116 times
jeffe

Post by jeffe »

In your last device manager screenshot, you see an unconfigured Ethernet Controller device under Other devices
Since you have selected Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM) as the virtualized adapter that VirtualBox provides to windows, you now need to configure that Ethernet Controller. You're likely needing a driver install.

Intel Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack is likely what you'll want to install. You can find it by googling.

Try this and you should see your network adapter show up.
Sandro Meira

Post by Sandro Meira »

Hello,

I did the download of driver with this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pt-br/ ... duct=50485
I tried to install the driver, but the Windows 8 in virtual machine, answer me that can't find the driver. See below the print screens. For all others devices I have receive the same answer.
Attachments
Placas de rede 13.png
Placas de rede 13.png (13.24 KiB) Viewed 16085 times
Placas de rede 12.png
Placas de rede 12.png (19.1 KiB) Viewed 16085 times
Placas de rede 11.png
Placas de rede 11.png (66.49 KiB) Viewed 16085 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I would like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Sandro Meira

Post by Sandro Meira »

Hello,

See attached the zip file.

Thanks,
Attachments
MaxiPC - Win 8.zip
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Your .vbox file looks OK. The problem is in your Windows, not VirtualBox, Windows is simply confused.

Go to the Device Manager and delete the devices that have a question mark. Reboot your Win8. See if the device gets detected in the Device Manager. Try to refresh the devices...