Detecting installed memory using GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
klk206

Detecting installed memory using GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory

Post by klk206 »

I have Windows 7 32-bit guest running on Windows 10 64-bit host. There is 4.096 Gb memory reserved for this VM, and the total memory on the host is 32 Gb.

In my app written for the guest OS I am trying to determine the amount of memory in the system using GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory API call. The call seems to succeed because it returns TRUE, however the value it returns, 36866165243686319, is wrong. (The function seems to return without modifying the argument's value.)

My questions are:

- Is this a bug that needs to be reported or is this implementation specifics?

- If the latter, is there another way to learn the amount of available memory given this behavior?

- Is there a way to learn whether the app is running in virtual machine so that I could choose the method dynamically?
Last edited by klk206 on 22. Mar 2019, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Detecting installed memory using GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory

Post by socratis »

If you're running the app inside your guest, and your guest OS knows what it's memory is, then it sounds like a bad_written_app?

You can't be having an app running inside an OS give the wrong number, when the OS itself gives the right number...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
klk206

Post by klk206 »

I do not understand what you mean. This code:

Code: Select all

#include "windows.h"
#include "sysinfoapi.h"
#include <iostream>

ULONGLONG getSystemMemory(void)
{
	ULONGLONG mem;
	BOOL err = GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory(&mem);
	return mem;
}

int main()
{
    std::cout << getSystemMemory() <<"\n"; 
}
sets err to 0 and outputs 14757395258967641292, which is nonsense, when compiled on the guest OS (x86 target), and outputs 33554432, as expected, when compiled for the same target on the host OS.

The guest OS does show in Control Panel that it has 3.50 Gb of memory.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

klk206 wrote:sets err to 0 and outputs 14757395258967641292
According to the Microsoft documentation for the GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory() function the return value is a boolean. If it is returning 0 then that is false and the value returned in the TotalMemoryInKilobytes parameter is invalid.

As it is returning false then you should call GetLastError() to determine why. My guess is that it will return ERROR_INVALID_DATA and we have an issue with the SMBIOS data tables.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:and we have an issue with the SMBIOS data tables.
I remember some recent activity in the mailing list about that, but I'm not so sure if it had anything to do with that specific value...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
klk206

Post by klk206 »

The error code is indeed 13, ERROR_INVALID_DATA. (Sorry, I should have checked the error code.)
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I have had a chat with one of the VirtualBox devs and they don't expose the SMBIOS/DMI memory tables as standard. If you run the following command with the guest shutdown:

VBoxManage setextradata <vmname> "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiExposeMemoryTable" 1 

the correct tables then get exposed and the GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory() function returns the right value.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
klk206

Post by klk206 »

This worked. Thank you very much.

Is there a reason this is not normally exposed? Might I suggest adding a checkbox in VirtualBox Manager GUI that would allow exposing it if desired?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

klk206 wrote:Is there a reason this is not normally exposed?
This setting was not exposed up to 5 years ago. When it was implemented it was deemed necessary to not make it the default as to not break existing installations, mainly customers' installations.
klk206 wrote:Might I suggest adding a checkbox in VirtualBox Manager GUI that would allow exposing it if desired?
Highly unlikely. Such specialized settings are only settable from the CLI, not the GUI. If every available option was in the GUI, that would be really confusing.