[Invalid] cant move/copy VDI file in windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
matsmcfly

[Invalid] cant move/copy VDI file in windows

Post by matsmcfly »

I require to use a VM in order to run software I require for work. The VM has bee setup ready for use, but I now need to setup my VM to use it. I have acess to the VDI on network but I cant to copy this locally for the VM. I am not able to copy or move this file with the error message "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program". The fil is not open in another program and virtualbox is not even open let alone in use with this VDI.

Any help is appreciated as I need to get this setup ASAP.

Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 21. Mar 2019, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: cant move/copy VDI file in windows

Post by socratis »

This has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox, and it has everything to do with Windows. Who knows what has a lock on it? An antivirus, something? Not important.

Just reboot the computer where the VDI resides in order to clear what's holding it, and ... that's it.

Marking as [Invalid].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: [Invalid] cant move/copy VDI file in windows

Post by BillG »

How can you say "it is not open in another program" when it is a file shared on a network? Have you checked with every network user?
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BillG, assuming it was a shared VDI (let's say a base VDI for linked clones), that wouldn't have prevented a read-only action, such as a copy, would it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That isn't the question I'm getting from the OP. The question I'm getting is "I have manually shared a VDI on several PCs", and I'm getting a sharing error.

VirtualBox can't open the primary VDI in a VM for read-only access only.

BTW, in my experience this "file is already open" is usually caused by preview tools in Windows Explorer, or just (in older Windows version) by having the explorer window open on a folder that has some humungous files in it: the shell tries to analyzing each file using some extremely badly written code that hogs lots of RAM, CPU and disk I/O time.