[Solved] VBox failing when starting ANY VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sarreq Teryx

[Solved] VBox failing when starting ANY VM

Post by Sarreq Teryx »

host: Windows 10 Pro 1903 18358.1
VBox v6.0.4 r128413
guest: any so far; what I've tried: FreeDOS 1.2, Win98SE, Haiku x64 r1/Beta1 rev52295+177

Error message, no matter what I do:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine FreeDOS.

Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
It doesn't matter what setting I use, it always comes up the same. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated. :D

edit: I just had a thought. would having VBox and Hyper-V Manager installed at the same time do this?

edit, the 2nd: I just found viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90853, turned on the Hypervisor Platform, and tried again, with the same error.
wvbigdave

Re: VBox failing when starting ANY VM

Post by wvbigdave »

I'm having the same issue, same version of VBox. I cannot paste my info yet due to the forum restrictions. I will past them tomorrow.

Edit: This started about 2 days ago.

I have Windows 10 Pro 1809
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

From the thread the OP linked to you will see that this is a new feature in 6.0.x and results have been very mixed. There is also the very large warning about the potential of very poor performance. Unless you have a reason to have Hyper-V enabled then disable it and all the things that rely on it.

For better advice we will need to see a log file from attempts to run the guest. Please zip them before attaching them to the thread.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wvbigdave wrote:I cannot paste my info yet due to the forum restrictions. I will past them tomorrow.
If by restrictions, you mean URLs, keep in mind that we prefer information uploaded here, locally. And because of the size attachment limitation, and because it helps you, it helps us, it helps the server, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two you should ZIP your logs ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sarreq Teryx

Post by Sarreq Teryx »

logs aweigh

sorry, I had deleted everything a couple times before now, and I haven't tried Win98 again, yet
Attachments
Its log, its log, its big, its heavy, itts (not) wood.7z
(15.23 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
wvbigdave

Post by wvbigdave »

ok, i had to remove anything that had to do with Hyper-V and now everything works perfectly fine.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, it can't have fixed your USB 3 problems. As the error message would have said, to fix that you need to install a matching extension pack, or disable USB in the VM settings.

Marking the topic as solved.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Just because I had already started the analysis of the logs, and hoping that someone will get the lesson...
00:00:02.542815 ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Any particular reason why you decided to override the template defaults, and go with an unsupported, experimental, OSX-guests-only option? For a DOS VM? Please change it back to the default PIIX3. Do not change the defaults unless you know what you're getting into.
00:00:02.542798 [/Devices/e1000/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:02.542799   AdapterType    <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
Same comment as above, stick with the templates, seriously...
00:00:02.542881 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:02.542882   Type <string>  = "ICH6" (cb=5)
It's starting to getting boring...
00:00:02.542944 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
For a DOS VM? 128 MB of VRAM? I have 32 MB for RAM on my FreeDOS1.2 and that's more than plenty!

Please... Do NOT change the defaults. They're carefully chosen. Do not try to outsmart people that do this for a living...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sarreq Teryx

Post by Sarreq Teryx »

socratis wrote:Just because I had already started the analysis of the logs, and hoping that someone will get the lesson...
Any particular reason why you decided to override the template defaults, and go with an unsupported, experimental, OSX-guests-only option? For a DOS VM? Please change it back to the default PIIX3. Do not change the defaults unless you know what you're getting into.
Same comment as above, stick with the templates, seriously...
It's starting to getting boring...
For a DOS VM? 128 MB of VRAM? I have 32 MB for RAM on my FreeDOS1.2 and that's more than plenty!

Please... Do NOT change the defaults. They're carefully chosen. Do not try to outsmart people that do this for a living...
Thanks for the lecture, Uncle <insert name>

I only started changing defaults AFTER the defaults wouldn't work. I was trying things to see if I could get a working configuration. It's not like I decided that I knew better, it's that it wouldn't work out of the (v)box.