Guru Meditation when enabling Serial to Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wwturner

Guru Meditation when enabling Serial to Guest

Post by wwturner »

Windows 10/64bit Host on e8700 processor
Windows XP guest
Host's serial port is COM1

No matter what I do, when I try to enable Serial on the guest machine profile then start the VM, the VM starts to load, then I get "Guru Meditation". Here are the settings I'm trying to use for my XP VM:

Port 1 tab is selected
Enable Serial Port is checked
Port Number: COM1 IRQ:4 I/O Port:0x3F8
Port Mode: Host Device
Path/Address: COM1 (even tried COM1: in case colon was important)

NOTE: When serial ports are disabled in the guest profile, the VM starts up and runs just fine.

I tried to attach the log file, but it is 357k, and the maximum allowed size here is 128k.

Which relevant protions of the log would need to be posted here to have someone help me figure out what is going wrong?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Guru Meditation when enabling Serial to Guest

Post by andyp73 »

Which version of VirtualBox have you installed? The devs have said that there were a lot of changes in the serial port code in the migration to v6.0.x and there seem to be a few issues with it.
wwturner wrote:I tried to attach the log file, but it is 357k, and the maximum allowed size here is 128k
You should zip the log file first before you try to attach it. Partial logs are never much use.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.