Official Ubuntu 16.04 cloud image does not reach interactive shell

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
johnbaker

Official Ubuntu 16.04 cloud image does not reach interactive shell

Post by johnbaker »

I have been experiencing an issue with an image of Ubuntu booting incredibly slow and never reaching an interactive shell.

I am using the Ubuntu cloud image for 16.04 [cloud-images.ubuntu dot com/xenial/current/]. I have imported the .box with Vagrant, and the .ova image through the GUI. Both produced the same results. I have also tried providing with Vagrant from both WSL and Windows.

Configuration is stock expect a disconnected serial port is enabled to bypass a known issue [kb.vmware dot com/s/article/52683]. When provisioned through Vagrant network 1 is set to NAT with ssh port forwarding, and a shared directory.

The VM boots up and slowly crawls through its initialization process. I have left the VM booting for 15, 30, 60+ minutes and it never reaches an interactive shell. This is true for Vagrant and the .ova image. I have done this test on my primary desktop and my Windows laptop. Same result.

I have been able to boot other instances of Linux. I have installed 18.04 server edition from an iso and debian/jessie with Vagrant on my Windows host. Due to a projects constraints my ultimate goal is the official Ubuntu cloud image of 16.04 provisions with Vagrant.

On my MacBook Pro there is no issue booting the .box with Vagrant. This is what had led me to believe it is an issue with the Windows Host and not the image itself.

From my research I don't believe to have any hardening issues. I have searched the forums but could not find a solution that work. I have tried many recommenced combinations of VM settings and various versions of the official Ubuntu cloud images for 16.04 and 18.04.

I hope I am missing something obvious. I have spent more time than I care to admit trying to resolve this issue. I have attached my VB logs and outlined my system details below. I apologize if I have broken any forum rules for including malformed URLs when I do not have permissions to post links.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Windows host summary
VirtualBox version 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.2)
Hyper-V disabled
CPU virtualization enabled
WSL installed/running Ubuntu latest LTS (18.04)
No anti-virus installed

Code: Select all

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
    Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 951MHz (9-10-9-27)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-DELUXE (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics
    ASUS PB278 (2560x1440@59Hz)
    ASUS PA248 (1200x1920@59Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
    476GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB (SATA (SSD))
    238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SATA (SSD))
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 (SATA )
Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
Audio
    High Definition Audio Device
Attachments
Logs.zip
(46.11 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Official Ubuntu 16.04 cloud image does not reach interactive shell

Post by mpack »

You have the hard disk on a LsiLogic SCSI controller? Why? Anyway I vaguely recall someone else having trouble with this, but the feature is so rarely used that I'm not sure.

I'd make a backup, then stick the hard disk on a SATA or IDE controller.
johnbaker

Re: Official Ubuntu 16.04 cloud image does not reach interactive shell

Post by johnbaker »

That was what the image defaulted too. I will take a look at changing the disk controller and report back.

I was able to get everything working with a different image provider (bento). I now believe it is something with how the official Ubuntu cloud images are prepared.

Thanks for the advice.