[Resolved] MSEDGE VM so sluggish in every respect

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
col_in_belfast

[Resolved] MSEDGE VM so sluggish in every respect

Post by col_in_belfast »

Hi

I'm brand new here, and indeed to VB and VM's, so please cut me an appropriate amount of slack.

I'm using a custom 2018 MacBook Pro which I invested heavily in with the assumption that performance would be fantastic.

- i9 6 core 2.9 GHz (4.8GHz TB) 12 thread processor
- 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM

Despite this, when using MSedge (windows 10) on VB everything is sluggish with a terrible delay on the VM that makes it essentially unusable. I can't even run a youtube video stream in the VM without it completely grinding to a halt. Mouse clicks have a delay of several seconds and videos won't stream properly. This is despite the network connection testing at good latency and over 300 Mbps.

Also my Mac Activity Monitor shows no where near max usage of CPU or memory at the time but still the Windows VM won't operate properly.

I have tried allocating from 2 up to 4 CPU cores and RAM from 4 up to to 16 GB yet still it is terrible.

I have ran windows update, and installed guest additions CD to rectify display issues.

Can anyone help me here in why my VM won't perform?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated indeed.

Many thanks

Col
Last edited by socratis on 19. Mar 2019, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: MSEDGE VM so sluggish in every respect

Post by andyp73 »

We will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
col_in_belfast

Post by col_in_belfast »

Please note that when I initially launch the vm it seems to function normally, windows update for example works fine and there is no lag to speak of on mouse clicks etc.

But if I launch internet explorer and play a youtube video, for example, then the machine becomes totally unresponsive.

My VM’s access the internet through an external USB wifi adapter set to NAT Network, I’m not sure if this would be a factor in this issue.

VBox.log file attached.

Many thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated.
col_in_belfast

Post by col_in_belfast »

Thank you so much for offering to go through my logs and try to assist me.

The issue was that 3D acceleration was disabled in VB.

Thanks again.

Col