Linux Mint

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Vivian

Linux Mint

Post by Vivian »

I am running Linux Mint on a virtual machine, I am using Windows 10 as a host. For some reason, Linux Mint runs perfectly until it loads to the desktop page. Then, the screen become black. I really don't know why this is happening. I tried reading the logs and frankly, I am even more confused than before. I will post the logs here, hopefully, it will shed insight into what's going on with my virtual machine:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s53 ... sp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dh2 ... sp=sharing
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Linux Mint

Post by andyp73 »

Please can you replace the offsite links to the log files with a zipped copy of the log file attached to the thread using the "Upload attachment" option below the editor window. It keeps the context of the thread together especially if the offsite document disappears. There are plenty of people here who will ignore your question because they don't want to go to look at third party sites.

In regards to your log, you may have hit one of the many teething troubles with the VMSVGA vGPU which is the default for newly created Linux guests in VirtualBox 6.0.x. Shut the guest down and change the settings so that it uses the old VBoxVGA vGPU and set the virtual graphics RAM to 128MB. The 16MB currently assigned probably isn't enough for running at a reasonable size and colour depth.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Linux Mint

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.

(I will not click offsite links).