Virtualbox is slow

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mafianekcek

Virtualbox is slow

Post by mafianekcek »

Hi, i have weird problem. I am using freebsd vdi on my external hard disk, because i am using 2 computers (laptop and desktop).
In past i have on my laptop windows 10, where was speed of whole booting and all possible actions in freebsd like copying, downloading or building sources slow as snal. It was like 20x slower than on desktop where was in that time windows 7.
So what i did was, that i reinstall my laptop on windows 7 and it really help me and virtual box is working here fast and flow very well till today.
Few days ago i bought new NVMe disk to my desktop, which made me reinstall my desktop to windows 10, because i didn't have any windows 7 with supporting NVMe. So yes, here was virtualbox same slow same as in past on my laptop, so i find some windows 7 with supporting NVMe and reinstall my desktop back to windows 7. But on my desktop it doesn't help like on my laptop. Ofcourse settings in virtualbox is same on both computers and its 2GR ram, 2 cpu, LAN driver, rest default.

My laptop:
- Intel Core i5 7200U Kaby Lake
- RAM 8GB DDR4
- NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB
- M.2 SSD 256GB

My desktop:
- Intel Core i7-4790K
- RAM 16GB DDR3
- MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition, 8GB GDDR5
- M.2 SSD 480GB

Is here somebody who is able to help me please? I am really mad, because this is not normal.
Thank you very much for help and I am sorry for my bad english.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox is slow

Post by mpack »

We can't say anything without a VM log. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

mpack wrote:We can't say anything without a VM log. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Hi, thank you for very fast answer, here is the log.
Sourc-2019-03-11-16-08-56.zip
(25.44 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

Also i have one more problem on my desktop and it is, that i can't normally start VM, i need use "Headless Start", because normal start shows this error:
The virtual machine 'Sourc' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Petr\VirtualBox VMs\Sourc\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
Here is VBoxHardening.log:
Sourc-2019-03-11-16-22-25.zip
(15.41 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

One issue per topic please.

Returning to the original question, here is something weird in the log:
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:00.404253 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:00.751685 CPUM: Physical host cores: 1
00:00:00.752074 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz"
Now even if the CPU was correctly identified, 4 cores is everything that the CPU has, so naturally VirtaulBox (a host application) will run slowly.

Of greater concern is that the host OS is reporting one available core. I don't see how that's possible with the information given. Can you cast light on why the host OS doesn't appear to be running a kernel appropriate for the host CPU?

Also I need greater clarity on what aspect is slow. For example it is expected that FreeBSD, since there are no Guest Additions for it, will have slow graphics.
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

What is slow is disk speed, on laptop its like 20mb/s and here on desktop it is 3mb/s but i dont understand it, because vdi is on external hard disk, which is connected on both devices by usb 3.0.
I already put cpu back to just one core, because 4 was lagging my PC too, here you have compare of the booting on desktop and laptop:
Desktop:
https://streamable.com/1sm6q
desktop.png
desktop.png (42.22 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Laptop:
https://streamable.com/ii3h1
laptop.png
laptop.png (50.69 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
I hope you see what is slow.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

mafianekcek wrote:What is slow is disk speed
mpack has already said to you "One issue per topic please". The disk performance issue should be in its own thread. Hopefully one of the admins can move it.
mpack wrote:Of greater concern is that the host OS is reporting one available core
Windows does have the ability to disable cores - not that I have ever known anyone do it. You need to run the msconfig utility and look at the advanced settings. Google seems to think that in some circumstances it can be controlled through the BIOS too.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

andyp73 wrote:
mafianekcek wrote:What is slow is disk speed
mpack has already said to you "One issue per topic please". The disk performance issue should be in its own thread. Hopefully one of the admins can move it.
Actually, that appears to be the subject of the current topic. I asked for specifics on what was slow (see the topic title), at which point the OP said it was disk speed.

It's the hardening error mentioned in the fourth post which is off topic.

IMHO it isn't too surprising that USB drives are slow (the throughput figures often quoted for USB3 are maximums, not minimums), however no mention has been made of what kind of USB drives they are.
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

You think, that i should reinstall usb drivers?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I talked about USB drives, not drivers. I don't expect that new drivers will make any difference. It's the drive itself that determines how fast it will be.
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

Ah okey. Anyway i have news, i did test and move .vdi file to my destkop and tried it normally without any usb and speed is still same. :(
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

Any next possible solution please? :/
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you want solutions it would be good if you answered questions (and implied questions) put to you.
mpack wrote: Of greater concern is that the host OS is reporting one available core. I don't see how that's possible with the information given. Can you cast light on why the host OS doesn't appear to be running a kernel appropriate for the host CPU?
mpack wrote: however no mention has been made of what kind of USB drives they are.
And although I'm not going to address hardening problems in this topic, you might try uninstalling your Avast antivirus, to see if that is interfering with drive performance.
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

I can't answer, because i am not pro and i dont know what you want :C, about USB, its not USB problem, it is slow even without using any USB.
mafianekcek

Post by mafianekcek »

I solved this problem by turning off VT-x, i dont know why it helps, but it really helps. I just disable it in settings and bios and now is speed even more than on laptop(where is enabled VT-x by the way). #BUGS#EVERYWHERE!