Virtualbox crashes with an error. (#18538)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Peter15NTl

Virtualbox crashes with an error. (#18538)

Post by Peter15NTl »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18538: Launching Firefox crashes VM with The memory could not be read.
When I launch the Firefox in the guest system (Windows 10) and try to load the file, the Virtualbox crashes. Translation of text in error: "The instruction at the address "0x6e5ebfe0" addressed the memory at the address "0x05f2f8d0". Memory cannot be "read"."
Attachments
VBox.zip
(26.84 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Снимок3.JPG
Снимок3.JPG (19.37 KiB) Viewed 5372 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Apr 2019, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtualbox crashes with an error.

Post by andyp73 »

Your log file contains a lot of the following entries:
00:24:02.592829 Audio: Device configuration of driver 'DSoundAudio' has changed
Can you try shutting down the guest, completely disabling the audio within the guest configuration and trying again?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Peter15NTl

Post by Peter15NTl »

Strangely, the error disappeared without changing the configuration. I will look further ...
Peter15NTl

Post by Peter15NTl »

Without sound support works fine. But the sound is needed. It also crashes if you start another application with sound support in the guest.
ketan

Post by ketan »

I am facing the same issue. I tried disabling the Audio, but it did not helped. Windows OS : 10 (1803) 64 bit. Virtual box 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.2). Please fix this issue. I can not launch FireFox as a result of this.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ketan wrote:Please fix this issue. I can not launch FireFox as a result of this.
Funny thing... I can do it just fine, which makes me wonder what's different in your system. Since *I* don't have access to your system, can *you* think of anything different from a standalone computer (no connections) that's freshly been built?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ketan

Post by ketan »

Not sure. I use multiple monitors (3) and not sure if it is related. There should be some log, that Virtualbox is producing that can be used to examine the root cause. Funny thing it is FireFox. All else works fine. I have updated it to latest version and applied all patches to Red Hat 6.10 OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ketan wrote:I use multiple monitors (3)
Any of them HDMI? With a sound option? Did you even try with a single one? Aren't you curious enough to see? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@ketan
I just noticed that you opened a ticket about this... https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18538

You shouldn't have, while we're having a discussion here. You opening a ticket is not going to make things move faster, if anything it's going to slow things down!

Let's see if anything comes up from the discussion, and then we update the ticket info accordingly...
ketan

Post by ketan »

My intention was to open a formal bug request. I have seen this issue consistently happening in 5.2 and 6.0.4. Since I can reproduce this issue, Hopefully developers can capture needed information to debug this. So far this is impacting only firefox. I can not install chrome as it is not supported for 6.10.
ketan

Post by ketan »

I have updated to Virtualbox 6.0.6 and issue still remains. Very annoying as I can not use the browser and Google Chrome does not work on Red Hat 6.10. Please fix this issue.

virtuabox_firefox_crash.jpg
virtuabox_firefox_crash.jpg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 5121 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Virtualbox crashes with an error. (#18538)

Post by socratis »

Can you try to install a fresh Win10 guest? I have two of them, 32- and 64-bit, and Firefox is my default browser! I don't see any crashes at all...
ketan

Post by ketan »

My Guest is Red Hat 6.10 and not windows. Issue seems to be related to Linux OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh, I'm sorry, confused the host and the guest. Mea culpa... :o

Can you try then with another VM?
ketan

Post by ketan »

Will try. But I am not sure why this one is failing. Is there any kind of log it generates? Trying on another machine can change several factors like Exact Windows 10 OS Version, Graphics card, multiple monitors etc. I will try at my home machine and see if I can reproduce this issue.