Where to get certificate?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bovo

Where to get certificate?

Post by bovo »

WinVerifyTrust failed on stub executable: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on '\Device\HarddiskVolume\...\VirtualBox.exe' (rc=-22919)
Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
where: VirtualBox
what: 1
VERR_LDRVI_UNSUPPORTED_ARCH (-22919) - Unsupported image target architecture.
Pretty much sure that it's the certificate issue. Tried to get some but didn't work.
Which certificate is required and where to get it?

Windows 7, Portable VirtualBox 5.2.24 (vbox.me), no internet on that PC.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Where to get certificate?

Post by socratis »

1. The error doesn't look anything like a bad certificate, it looks like "Wrong architecture".
  2. You don't "get" certificates, there's no market for that. Your OS gets them.
  3. And most importantly, Portable VirtualBox is not supported here. Talk to the people that created this "portable" (that needs installation, right... :roll: ).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yep. Wrong architecture sounds like trying to run the 64bit version on a 32bit host, or vice versa. I guess this is something you have to think about if you go for "portable VirtualBox", i.e. VirtualBox that has not been installed properly on the current PC, putting the onus on the user to understand which hosts are compatible.
bovo

Post by bovo »

I see that you have no idea what is going on. Thanks for nothing.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

bovo wrote:Thanks for nothing.
Sarcasm is unlikely to get you very far in getting other people to invest their time looking at the issue.

Looking at the source code in src/VBox/HostDrivers/Support/win/SUPHardenedVerifyImage-win.cpp then the error VERR_LDRVI_UNSUPPORTED_ARCH looks to be a bit of a red herring. The root cause of the problem is that a call to WinVerifyTrust is returning CERT_E_CHAINING. In English, the description for this is "a certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority".

Given that you have a Windows 7 host then you may not have all of the necessary up-to-date root CAs installed or there is a proxy, or similar, between you and the root authority that is rewriting one or more of the certificates.

This is actually more of a Windows or networking issue rather than a VirtualBox one. If you can't find solutions using Google then, as mpack said, you need to speak to the Portable VirtualBox folks.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

bovo wrote:I see that you have no idea what is going on.
If you have the ability to judge that then you clearly didn't even need to ask the question, so I'll lock the topic. In any case we do not support Portable VirtualBox here, as already mentioned.