[Solved] VirtualBox 6.0 Hardening Error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
3xtraction

[Solved] VirtualBox 6.0 Hardening Error

Post by 3xtraction »

With my limited knowledge, I have tried my best to understand and run through the various steps under the "Diagnosing Hardening Issues". Unfortunately, it seems that I still can't get my VM to open up properly. I have attached a copy of the zipped log file in the hopes anyone can help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(10.45 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 Hardening Error

Post by mpack »

27ac.2500: supR3HardNtViCallWinVerifyTrust: WinVerifyTrust failed with 0x80096010 (TRUST_E_BAD_DIGEST) on '\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'
This says that a system DLL (OLE32.DLL) has a bad signature, i.e. it has been hacked. I suggest that you investigate.
3xtraction

Post by 3xtraction »

Hi mpack. Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Yes, I saw that as well in the error log and did some digging before posting on this forum. Unfortunately, I can't see to find a detailed explanation on what that .dll is, and a trustworthy site to acquire a legitimate copy of this dll.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Open an elevated Command Prompt (right-click, Run-as-Administrator) and execute the command:
  • sfc /scannow
If it comes with errors that can't be fixed, try to do the same procedure after a safe boot.

Also, read the following Microsoft article: System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

3xtraction wrote:Unfortunately, I can't see to find a detailed explanation on what that .dll is
It's a part of Windows. Object Linking and Embedding. OLE is a way for applications to exchange data with each other. A hacked version could be a serious security breach.
3xtraction wrote:and a trustworthy site to acquire a legitimate copy of this dll.
It comes with Windows, there should be no need to find an online source. If yours has been accidentally damaged then you can repair it by typing the following into an administrator command prompt :-

Code: Select all

sfc /scannow
This runs the "System File Checker" which replaces any corrupted system DLLs with ones from your install folder (which Windows keeps up to date across updates).
3xtraction

Post by 3xtraction »

Hi socratis, thanks for the updated info! I actually ran into that command minutes before you posted and began running the command. The results did find some issues but luckily after a restart I seem to have VirtualBox running now!

Thanks mpack for actually breaking down the meaning of the .dll I appreciate that! Apparently all the websites I visited tell you that it is important, but actually what the acronym represented and its intended use.

Thank you everyone for your fast help! Please consider this closed. However, for those who want to know more about the sfc / scannow I have provided the following which tells you the expected results and next steps (I can't post URLs but the following is exactly what you will need if you google it and follow the Microsoft community website).

"System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot"
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

3xtraction wrote:(I can't post URLs but the following is exactly what you will need if you google it and follow the Microsoft community website).
"System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot"
Excuse me, but I already included the link in my post! :D

Glad you got it going, marking it as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox 6.0 Hardening Error

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back, marked as solved.
3xtraction

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox 6.0 Hardening Error

Post by 3xtraction »

Sorry socratis you absolutely did! I am stupid, sorry! Just read too fast as I was excited that the problem was finally fixed!