Guest machines aren't responding to input

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BillyJean

Guest machines aren't responding to input

Post by BillyJean »

So, here's my story..

I installed VirtualBox onto my SSD and ran a kali Linux machine which I used for 2 months (December and January). This week I have moved to another country and brought my SSD with me and placed it into another computer which has different hardware to the original host (same SSD though). I have enabled Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS of the new host machine. The new host build is slightly worse than the original host.

New Host-> Mobo: Gigabyte H87-HD3
Processor: Intel Core i3-4130
RAM: 12GB

What happened exactly was I ran the guest kali machine I had been using and it would freeze on the booting sequence.

Stupidly I thought that maybe the machine was corrupted so I deleted it and tried to start a fresh guest of Kali.

Now..

I will start the new guest machine, after having configured it to have the controller IDE as the Kali .iso file but it will still freeze after 1/2 seconds. The machine still says it's in running state and doesn't abort automatically instead it requires me to mash the close button until it closes.

Has anyone seen this before?
Attachments
Logs.zip
(15.4 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
BillyJean

Re: Guest machines aren't responding to input

Post by BillyJean »

So after some diagnosis I have found that the guest will freeze after I make any form of input using the keyboard, to which then somehow my num lock will turn off as it freezes. :lol: :lol:
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
00:00:14.552882 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={a7c88b82-2330-44e3-b247-1421a018f9c1} aComponent={KeyboardWrap}
aText={Could not send all scan codes to the virtual keyboard (VERR_PDM_NO_QUEUE_ITEMS)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-2807
Your log file is ending with multiple entries of this form. This matches with your observations relating to the keyboard.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:05.118085 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:05.173844 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
VT-x is not available to VirtualBox as Hyper-V (or something that uses Hyper-V is enabled) hence you are probably also seeing the turtle icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. If you want VirtualBox to perform well then you need to disable Hyper-V.

Start by checking that VT-x support is enabled in the motherboard / PC / laptop BIOS. Your Intel i3-4130 CPU supports it. See your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this. Also, make sure that nothing else has an exclusive hold on the VT-x.

That may cure the problem. If not, post an updated log file.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
BillyJean

Post by BillyJean »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back so promptly.

I tried to disable Hyper-V how ever the only features my pc has around VMs is Hypervisor and Virtual Machine Platform, to which I disabled them both. Now I can't even find virtualbox on my PC.

Regarding the VT-x I have enabled it on my motherboard so I don't understand how "VT-x is not available" is being returned.

I'm going to turn Virtual machine platform on and leave hypervisor off and try that, if you know of another possible fix let me know but at this moment in time I just want my pc to recognise VB. :lol: :lol:
BillyJean

Post by BillyJean »

So after trying it without Hypervisor enabled I got a error saying it has to be enabled or it wont work. Still saying that VT-x is unavailable yet it is enabled in my BIOS. Could there be another program using it somehow?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

BillyJean wrote:I don't understand how "VT-x is not available" is being returned.
This is because something is taking exclusive access to the VT-x capabilities before you start to run VirtualBox.
BillyJean wrote:Could there be another program using it somehow?
As per the thread I linked to, Hyper-V itself could be the main candidate but it is also stealthily used by DeviceGuard, CredentialGuard and the containerised version of Edge (that we know of). There are also some anti-virus solutions that also have an option for using the virtualisation capabilities unless you tell them not to.

Unfortunately, you will have to do some detective work into what is installed on your machine.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
BillyJean

Post by BillyJean »

Thanks again Andy.

I'll post back if I come across anything.
BillyJean

Post by BillyJean »

So nothing has changed after trying all that was indecated, I still can't use the VM after I boot it (also green turtle lights up with a 'V' on his back). I have attached some more logs from my latest run. If you have anymore suggestions I am happy to try them all.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(71.99 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BillyJean wrote:also green turtle lights up with a 'V' on his back
00:00:02.418479 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.475610 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
00:00:03.151912   Mnemonic - Description                                  = guest (host)
00:00:03.151973   HVP - Hypervisor Present (we're a guest)                = 1 (1)
Some Hyper-V component is active. Look in the "Control Panel" » "Programs and Features" » "Turn Windows features on or off", and make sure that the none of the following are active:
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
Also, if you have a 3rd party antivirus, make sure that it doesn't use any hardware accelerated scanning. They tend to do that lately...

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon would show:Image

PS. Please do not include all the log files that you can find lying around. We want to see "The" log where/when the problem occurs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.