No bootable medium found

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Counts

No bootable medium found

Post by Counts »

I downloaded SQL 2017 standard straight from microsofts website. After i downloaded it, it was given a message saying that I cannot create a virtual machine with the iso that i would need to burn it to a dvd or flash drive ect. I do not have the means to burn to a DVD at this time but would like to set up a Virtual box.

What would the steps be for me to be able to make the virtual box work?
The file that I have for SQL standard is en_sql_server_2017_standard_x64_dvd_11294407.iso

I tried using PowerfulISO to mount it but i still dont know where to go from there.

Any help would be much appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No bootable medium found

Post by socratis »

Last time I checked SQL Server is an application that requires an existing operating system to work. You cannot create a VM from an application, you need an OS (in a VM) to install the SQL Server into. SQL Server is *not* an OS.

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.