Virtualbox automatically updates and reboots the host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Peaky92

Virtualbox automatically updates and reboots the host

Post by Peaky92 »

Virtualbox without warning or prompting me, restarted my laptop and updated to version 6.0.2 a few weeks ago.

Today it did the exact same thing and updated to 6.0.4.

This occurred to 2 other colleagues at the exact same time. All laptops are running Windows 10.

What is the cause of this and how can it be prevented?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtualbox automatically updates and reboots the host

Post by andyp73 »

VirtualBox makes a check, by default once per day, to see if there is a new version available but I'm not aware that it does anything more than tell you about it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

andyp73 wrote:but I'm not aware that it does anything more than tell you about it.
Same here, and besides which it surely doesn't take much thought to arrive at the File|Preferences|Update settings dialog in VirtualBox!
Peaky92

Post by Peaky92 »

andyp73 wrote:VirtualBox makes a check, by default once per day, to see if there is a new version available but I'm not aware that it does anything more than tell you about it.

-Andy.
After the first time this happened, we all turned off that check box to even look for updates in preferences. So the 2nd time it happened, it shouldn't of even have been looking for updates, never mind forcing the update.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If the checkbox was off then you need to look elsewhere for the phantom updater.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox does NOT:
  • Force any updates
  • Reboot the computer (doesn't even need a reboot to update)
Something else is going on, and it's definitely not VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Best guess: either the cleaner is updating VirtualBox for everyone, or... it's a non-standard install that includes VirtualBox, let's say an Android emulation package or Vagrant or whatever. Who knows what decisions they made over updates - all of them not our problem.
Peaky92

Post by Peaky92 »

socratis wrote:VirtualBox does NOT:
  • Force any updates
  • Reboot the computer (doesn't even need a reboot to update)
Something else is going on, and it's definitely not VirtualBox.
It's the only common denominator across the 3 laptops it occurred on though. I get what you're saying, there shouldn't be any application that forces an update or reboot the computer but the fact of the matter is after all 3 laptops restarted, without warning or being prompted, the only application that had updated was virtualbox.

We all disregarded it the first time this happened but after it occurred a second time with the same outcome, virtualbox being the only application to have updated after the reboot, I'm naturally going to assume it's that application which caused it. I'm all ears for suggestions on what else could have caused this...

The only other thing I noticed was that a windows update occurred the day before, maybe that affected virtualbox in some way to force the update and reboot? (going out on a whim here)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox is an open source app, there is no need to guess about its features. If you think it has code to force updates and a reboot then by all means point it out in the code!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Peaky92 wrote:I'm naturally going to assume it's that application which caused it.
I'm going to emphatically say this once more: NO WAY!!!

VirtualBox does NOT force updates. At most it nags you that there's a newer version available. It doesn't even offer a mechanism to auto-download an update, you have to initiate that part manually! And even if you want to upgrade or downgrade VirtualBox, it's an application that doesn't require a reboot in the process. I change at least 4 versions of VirtualBox on a daily basis. I've never had to reboot, not once.
Peaky92 wrote:I'm all ears for suggestions on what else could have caused this...
I'm sorry, but you are sitting in front of your computer, not us. If you don't know what on earth you have installed on your computer, how do you expect us to know? Magic?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SilverCarnage

Post by SilverCarnage »

Hi

Was initially happy to find this post as we have experienced the same issue. But the replies to the original posters issue are very disrespectful and do not offer any constructive help (just derision).

We have four windows 10 host machines - Only software on each machine is 'Oracle VM Virtual Box', '7Zip', 'Bit-defender' & 'Office 365'. All project work is performed on applications existing on the VMs.

On the same day all four machines rebooted themselves without any prompt, once rebooted upon inspection no windows update had occurred. The only change was that all the version of 'Oracle VM VB' had performed a major software update (Version 5.XX to Version 6.XX). Two of the machines were running VM guests at the time (VM exist on external HDD run over USB 3.0) upon reboot these two machines had issues running there VMs and had to re-install drivers to get VMs up and running again.

It was not technically a full reboot of the machine though, it was more like PC going into sleep mode as when rebooted all application and associated files were reopened in the same state. (Word file, google and tabs ect), apart from running VMs as HDD was disconnected from PC during this odd reboot.

It was not the cleaners or some mysterious external force, we were all sitting in front of the machines when it happened.

I would love to inspect the open source code, but unfortunately I do not have the required skill set for this. Are you suggesting only people skilled enough in VM application development should use this product?

We have deselected the check updates box also but this does not seem to do anything, as upon application start it always states if a new version is available with or without box ticked.

Oracle VM virtualbox is an excellent product but there does seem an issue here, i do not understand the stance that site moderates are taking, have not asked for log files or anything just flat denial and derision.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SilverCarnage wrote:have not asked for log files or anything just flat denial and derision.
Because I'm 100% certain that there is no auto-update mechanism. No question about it, I'm willing to bet the farm, as they say. ;)

And now we have official confirmation from the developers about this from IRC:
- Interesting debate going on here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91786. You guys haven't slipped some code in to auto-update and reboot Windows users?
- Auto-update? Nope. No code for that :)
I don't know what's doing this on your systems, and I'm not doubting that at all, but I'm sure it's not VirtualBox.
SilverCarnage

Post by SilverCarnage »

Socratis

Thank you for the reply, Something very odd is going on.

This only occurred with the major revision update 5.XX to 6.XX, I have never experienced it before (been using Oracle VM for 5 years now, best on the market :D ). The auto reboot issue aside Oracle seemed to defiantly updated itself with no user selection (if there is a third party program doing these updates i am completely unaware of it and have not knowingly installed anything dito for colleges, we tend to keep host machine as clean of software as possible bloatware removed. would be strange malware that keeps software up to date lol).

The GUI for oracle from version 5 to 6 is dramatically different and was instantly noticeable.

Two guys working on oracle with VMs running (version 5) then computers just powered down, when started up again oracle was opened automatically (although VMs drivers were now broken) and could instantly see the GUI change and checked versions (now 6). This is what prompted us to check to other two PCs these were also now suddenly version 6 (all on same day, around the time of V6 release). no other updates recorded.

I fully accept your response due to your sheer conviction and reply from devs. I will keep an eye on versions to see if any other update occurs. Completely Confused.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I hear 3 computers here, 4 computers there... Are you part of an organization? A company/school/other? Are you having a domain with policies? Maybe centralized patching?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I was thinking that too. Perhaps an update pushed by the local IT team.