Slow Network Upstream Speed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Carl039

Slow Network Upstream Speed

Post by Carl039 »

Hi

Is there a known issue with Virtual Box 6.x and slow upstream speeds on Windows Virtual Machines.

I recently got a new PC and never used to have this issue when running under v5.x so with new pc thought I would go straight to v6.4 but having really poor upstream speed. My host machine is running Windows 10 #1809 x64 and the VM is running same OS.

My new PC has a Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM
I have installed my original network card into my new pc which is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and assigned the Windows 10 VM this card instead but still got really poor upstream.

Using the speedtest-net web version errors out during upstream test and so does the app version its starts off well at 50Mbps then drops down to 0Mbps and then gives up with the error of: "Could not connect to the Internet"

Thanks

Carl
VBox: v6.0.4
Host: Windows 10 x64 #1809
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Slow Network Upstream Speed

Post by socratis »

Carl039 wrote:Is there a known issue with Virtual Box 6.x and slow upstream speeds on Windows Virtual Machines.
Nope, not so far.
Carl039 wrote:I recently got a new PC
This on the other hand might very well be the reason for the slowness; the age of your new PC.

You can easily try a couple of things; downgrade your new PC to 5.2.26, or upgrade the old one to 6.0.4. Compare them. If you want to do a proper experiment, you change one variable at a time, not a bunch of them together, because you won't know where the measured effect is going to come from.

PS. I know it's customary in other forums to include the specs in their signature, but the problem is that if you change your VirtualBox version, or your signature, it applies to all messages in the forums. And in a couple of months, when you're going to change your signature to say "VirtualBox 6.1.16", this message is going to look out of place... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.