Windows 10 Host reboots upon start of Ubuntu Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
InfiniteSeries

Windows 10 Host reboots upon start of Ubuntu Guest

Post by InfiniteSeries »

I downloaded and installed the Windows VirtualBox 6.0.4 platform package and created a VM for Linux Mint (32-bit). After starting the VM, I tried to get it to load the .iso file, and the host Windows system rebooted. I see no error in the last line of the VBoxHardening.log. I uploaded the last third of the file because it was larger than the 128KiB maximum. Also added the zip file. Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.1506)
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(17.82 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
VBox.log
(711 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by socratis on 12. Feb 2019, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed partial log.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Host reboots upon start of Ubuntu Guest

Post by socratis »

InfiniteSeries wrote:and the host Windows system rebooted
Is this reproducible, does it happen every time, or was it a one of?
InfiniteSeries wrote: I uploaded the last third of the file because it was larger than the 128KiB maximum. Also added the zip file.
I removed the partial log, it's of no use. You did good and attached the whole thing ZIPPED.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
InfiniteSeries

Post by InfiniteSeries »

I have tried this many times. Here are the steps:
  1. Open VirtualBox Manager
  2. Create a new VM with the following paramters:
    1. Type: Linux
    2. Version: Ubuntu (32-bit)
    3. Memory size: 2048 MB
    4. Create a virtual hard disk now
    5. Hard disk file type: VDI
    6. Storage on physical hard disk: Fixed size of 20 GB.
  3. Start the VM
  4. Select start-up disk:
    1. Click on the folder icon next to the drop-down box that says, "Empty"
    2. Locate and select the previously downloaded (and checksum'd) linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-32bit.iso file.
    3. Click Start.
  5. After a few seconds, my host system reboots.
I have tried this with several 32-bit builds of Linux Mint, including 18, 18.3, and 19.
I have also tried this with Fedora-Workstation 29 (32-bit). [With version: Fedora (32-bit)]
I think this must be a configuration issue on my end, but I don't know where to look. I don't know if it matters, but I noticed that when I tried to use an existing virtual hard disk file from a Linux Mint VM set up earlier (which rebooted the host when started) for a new VM, when I start the (new) VM, it does not ask for a boot iso file. The host just reboots.
Thank you for your assistance with this.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That is really weird... But, can you completely uninstall all 3rd party, system-wide modifying software, like Symantec?
3178.29e4:     FileDescription: Symantec CMC Firewall SysPlant
Other than that, I don't have anything more to help me diagnose what's going on in your setup...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.