[Solved] Cannot start any VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
felixd

[Solved] Cannot start any VM

Post by felixd »

I had some VMs running a few months ago, and now I can't get any Vm to boot up. Neither old ones nor newly created ones.

I always get the same error:
(VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API).

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).
This is my system and what I tried:
(I cannot post URLs since I am new to the community)

See the screenshots below:
- I have Hyper-V disabled
- Virtualization is supported on my CPU (and it is enabled in the BIOS/UEFI)
- Core Isolation (windows Defender/Security) is enabled, but Memory integrity is off:

I have already disabled Norton Security, rebooted multiple times, enabled and disabled Hyper-V, uninstalled Virtualbox 5 and now installed Virtualbox 6.0.4. Nothing had worked.

What could I be doing wrong? Any suggestions? :?:
Attachments
task_mgr.jpg
task_mgr.jpg (52.5 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
core_isolation.jpg
core_isolation.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
features.jpg
features.jpg (116.57 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
Last edited by felixd on 12. Feb 2019, 00:49, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot start any VM

Post by socratis »

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...

And can you please edit your message and attach the images here, locally?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
felixd

Post by felixd »

I have read the FAQ another time, and checked that I did everything. And I added the images. Thank you for the hint, I had overseen it last time.

I could now manage to create a new VM (Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop iso), that sort of starts, but then hangs. Old VMs cant't be launched, although having the same config.
Attachments
Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop iso; hangs
Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop iso; hangs
vm.png (15.94 KiB) Viewed 8651 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It seems that you have Hyper-V enabled. You can tell from the status bar where the "slow" icon shows:Image

And no, I don't mean the "Hyper-V" checkbox that's cleared. i mean a little bit further down the list, the "Windows Hypervisor Platform". Uncheck that and try again. If you are successful and VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, then the standard virtualization icon would show:Image
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I would also disable Virtual Machine Platform if Hyervisor Platform does not fix it.

Where did all those features come from? Are you running Enterprise?
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BillG wrote:I would also disable Virtual Machine Platform
Good call BillG, I wasn't even aware of that one!
felixd

Post by felixd »

Weeehee! :D

Disabling Virtual Machine Platform fixed it! I could've sworn I had tested it without that one, but later thought it was probably needed vor Virtualbox. Thanks a lot! :o
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Cannot start any VM

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for letting us know. And thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]... ;)