[Resolved] Hardening Error on all VM’s

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MeganElisabeth

[Resolved] Hardening Error on all VM’s

Post by MeganElisabeth »

I have attached my log in hopes someone can help. I’ve tried disabling my antivirus as well as closing all added on programs running as well as shutting down and restarting my PC. I’ve read to try and replace the .dll’s with Verified healthy ones but am wondering where to find these? All I’ve changed since it worked before and now not is the uninstallation and installation of Asus AURA software so I suppose hopefully maybe it’s as simple as that messing with these and the registry somehow or something? Thanks so very much in advance.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Feb 2019, 05:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hardening Error on all VM’s

Post by socratis »

MeganElisabeth wrote:I tried attaching but it is over the allotted 128KB at 225KB
Why does no one think of ZIPPING files these days... ;)

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MeganElisabeth

Post by MeganElisabeth »

I’m so so sorry! :| I didn’t think to do that before being away from my PC for the day to zip the file first. I managed to zip it with my phone. I have read the guide on hardening several times. It seems to be a windows load library fail I think? This is pretty Greek to me. As it’s not a specific app? It’s just so odd to me that I’ve used VB for close to two years now with no errors and now this... especially since it worked perfectly just after updating windows and graphics drivers within the last couple of days. /: The only thing that changed since it will no longer work is Asus AURA.
Last edited by MeganElisabeth on 11. Feb 2019, 01:52, edited 5 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BTW, here's a really good reason why we want things here, locally. I'm one of the few that venture to 3rd party sites, alas:
Filebin is currently unavailable (503) due to maintenance. Please retry later.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MeganElisabeth

Post by MeganElisabeth »

Oh I most definitely completely understand that and was thinking it the moment I was uploading to a third party. /: Am trying to find a way to zip the file on my phone..
MeganElisabeth

Post by MeganElisabeth »

I think I got it...! Hopefully, please let me know.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'll repeat it in case you missed it...
socratis wrote:Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible.
I would start with the following:
3a58.3514: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x80
3a58.3514: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys:
3a58.3514:     ProductName:     Malwarebytes SwissArmy
3a58.3514: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 1752 ms, the end);
MeganElisabeth

Post by MeganElisabeth »

Thank you very very much for responding. I have read the guide on hardening several times. It seems to be a windows load library fail I think? This is pretty Greek to me. As it’s not a specific app? It’s just so odd to me that I’ve used VB for close to two years now with no errors and now this... especially since it worked perfectly just after updating windows and graphics drivers within the last couple of days. /: including working perfectly fine with Malwarebytes for years now and just in case somehow was the issue I disabled it. So it could somehow all of a sudden become an issue and conflict with VB? I’m unaware with how this works. The only thing that changed since it will no longer work is Asus AURA.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MeganElisabeth wrote:I have read the guide on hardening several times
I'm afraid not carefully enough then. An application that wants to invade VirtualBox's memory space is checked for a valid signature against the Windows Certificate Database (WCD). If it doesn't match, you get a hardening error.

A virus engine update behind the scenes that forgot to update the WCD, will cause that. It may only mean that you need to update again, or they do need to update the WCD. Other reasons include a corrupted WCD.
MeganElisabeth

Post by MeganElisabeth »

Yep I understood that. I guess I just didn’t realize it could all of a sudden (MalwareBytes) becomes a problem certificates or otherwise just all of a sudden. /: ): I greatly appreciate you responding.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just try it out. Uninstall it completely and see if it works. Then a re-installation might actually force an update of the WCD and you could be all set.

The other thing you could do is to add an exception about all things VirtualBox in Malwarebytes, as to avoid active scanning/invasion of VirtualBox's space...
MeganElisabeth

Post by MeganElisabeth »

Very true. I just hate the thought of risking my other applications then not working properly with Windows being touchy with installations/uninstalling.

I am aware of how to do that in MalwareBytes! So this would fix this problem resulting in the error with VB if MB is in fact the problem?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MeganElisabeth wrote:So this would fix this problem resulting in the error with VB if MB is in fact the problem?
If Malwarebytes is the problem, it should.
MeganElisabeth

Post by MeganElisabeth »

Thank you very very very much. I truly greatly appreciate you spending time with me. I got it working again!! Knock on wood! Lol
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad I could help. Marking as [Resolved].