file sharing between Windows 10 host & DOS 6.22 guest

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: file sharing between Windows 10 host & DOS 6.22 guest

Post by socratis »

jorgensen wrote:Create a small fixed size Shareable vdi file, and attach it to the DOS guest and e.g. a Windows 7 guest.
I sincerely hope you don't mean at the same time, that's a recipe for a disaster!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Actually it works fine, as long as the vdi file is Shareable according to the manual "5.4. Special image write modes"
Last edited by socratis on 12. Feb 2019, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Are you referring to the section that has a red, big, bold warning?
This is an expert feature, and misuse can lead to data loss, as regular filesystems are not prepared to handle simultaneous changes by several parties.
It needs a specialized filesystem. FAT is as "regular" as they come. FAT is not meant to be modified at the same time by two computers. None of the user-grade filesystems are: NTFS, FAT, exFAT, HFS(+), APFS, etc. None.

You are sitting on a time bomb!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mdavid

Post by mdavid »

Hi, Seeing I started this discussion, thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. After following this thread I understand that if you want a system that you can present to a client who has no knowledge of all the intricacies and risks of using a Windows host and DOS guest that can share files, then VirtualBox is not the way to go.
I finally ended up using vDosPlus http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/vdosplus.html - so far it seems the best (and simplest) solution.

Thanks for all the input - learnt alot.
David
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hmm. Interesting. I hadn't heard of VDosPlus, but reading the notes it seems to be a fork of a fork of DOSBox, which I have successfully used. If DOSBox (and its forks) is suitable for your needs then I have no hestitation in recommending it over VirtualBox, which IMHO is not likely to have long term improving support for 16 bit applications.
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

socratis wrote:Are you referring to the section that has a red, big, bold warning?
Yes!
As stated, DOS does not have a refresh function, so changes to the Shareable drive needs a reboot of the DOS guest.
E.g. writing to the drive from the DOS guest require a quick reboot!
Windows 7 can refresh the Shareable drive.
If you are an 'expert' this is the easiest way to share files in a DOS guest.
I have used a Shareable drive in other situations, and at any time accept it can go totally wrong.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jorgensen wrote:If you are an 'expert' this is the easiest way to share files in a DOS guest.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. FAT has never had provisions for shared access, and as I said neither do the rest of the consumer-level filesystems. The fact that you've gotten away with it doesn't make your advice correct. You got away by doing something not so smart. Don't advice other people do repeat that. It's dangerous.
mdavid

How to DOS 6.22 guest on windows 10 host with file sharing

Post by mdavid »

Hi,
Trying to follow this tutorial to install MS-DOS 6.22 as a guest with file sharing on a Windows 10 host.
Extracted DSK3-1.EXE and DSK3-2.EXE to temp folder, ran WFW31.EXE to install AMD NDIS2 drivers for Windows 3.1, updated WCNET.INF.
When I run SETUP.EXE from above temp folder, I get the following error: "This app can't run on your PC".
What am I doing wrong? What's the solution?
Any help greatly appreciated.
David
Last edited by socratis on 24. Feb 2019, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I merged your new post with your existing thread on the issue. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed.

Have also a look at another recent thread: File Sharing with MS-DOS 6.22, you might get an idea or two...
linuxpjohnston

Post by linuxpjohnston »

Here's the method I use personally for sharing files between Host and DOS Guest. (KISS Method)

1) When setting up DOS Guest, for Hard Disk Volume make sure to use VHD (Virtual Hard Disk)
2) Install DOS on guest.
3) Shutdown VM, need to do this so that you can add VHD to Windows 10.
4) Open "Disk Management" on Windows 10, Action->Attach VHD. This will assign a new Drive for you. Then just simply drag and drop all your files from Windows 10 Host to VHD.
5) Once done copying, Detach VHD from Windows 10.
6) Run VM again, voila, all files are copied over.

Downside to this method is you cannot have both VM and VHD attached to Windows 10 at the same time. But if you want pure DOS environment and don't want to hassle with trying to setup a network bridge to communicate with your host, this is an easy method. I use this method when I want to mess around with some old projects I did back in high school and college using TP 7 and BC 3.11. And be careful with sticking to NNNNNNNN.EEE filename scheme or you will end up with a lot of files with NNNNNNN~.EEE
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

linuxpjohnston wrote:Downside to this method is you cannot have both VM and VHD attached to Windows 10 at the same time
Another downside is that this method is not cross-platform, for the moment at least...

Things are expect to change when VirtualBox releases its own tool for mounting virtual disks on each supported host platform natively. Then you'll be able to manage all the formats supported by VirtualBox (see VDI, VMDK, etc), even when they have snapshots. As long as your host understands the filesystem format, you're going to be all set...