VBOX 6.0.4 error - No raw mode courtesy of h-v

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MiloTheDev
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: None that work at the moment

VBOX 6.0.4 error - No raw mode courtesy of h-v

Post by MiloTheDev »

Hi.

Today i was on my Windows 10 HOME laptop. Trying to install Windows 7. However.

Every time i start the VM, It will either complain about VM-x or that raw mode is unavailible.

the second one is most common though.

As i said, This is windows 10 home edition.

Hyper-v is only available on Pro and Enterprise.

So if i cant disable it. What can i do?? Please help.

- From
-- MiloTheDev.
From, MiloTheDev.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBOX 6.0.4 error - No raw mode courtesy of h-v

Post by socratis »

Start by giving the *exact* error message, it can't be this or that. Then a log would clear out the situation...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MiloTheDev
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: None that work at the moment

Post by MiloTheDev »

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7.

Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
7log.zip
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by socratis on 9. Feb 2019, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
From, MiloTheDev.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:04.120040 CPUM: No hardware-virtualization capability detected
00:00:04.824589   HVP - Hypervisor Present (we're a guest)                = 1 (1)
00:00:04.933207 VMSetError: Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V.
Some Hyper-V component is active. Look in the "Control Panel" » "Programs and Features" » "Turn Windows features on or off", and make sure that the none of the following are active:
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
PS. Don't send me personal messages about attending to your posts. *If* I decide to take a look at them, I'll do it when I feel like it, not when "bumped" less than 24 hours after you post, OK? I'm not your personal support.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The problem is that something is blocking hardware virtualization. Hyper-V is a likely cause, but far from the only one. There are dozens of things which can prevent VirtualBox from accessing this, even if it is enabled in the BIOS. (Unfortunately, lots of error messages use the term Hyper-V as shorthand for hardware virtualization, which is actually a CPU option. VMWare particularly likes blaming Hyper-V or Credential Guard). You will notice that the first error message highlighted by socratis mentions the real problem.

You are correct about Home Edition. It is not capable of running Hyper-V, so the options will not be available in Features. It also does not have Virtual Secure Mode, which also rules out Device Guard and Credential Guard.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ash ... mystified/

You can easily check if Hyper-V or Virtual Secure Mode is active by running bcdedit /enum from a command prompt. If the hypervisor is loading there will be an entry hypervisorlaunchtype Auto. If that entry is absent or set to Off the hypervisor is not loading.
Win10VBox.PNG
Bill