[WorksForMe] VirtualBox suddenly becomes unclickable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
grilo

[WorksForMe] VirtualBox suddenly becomes unclickable

Post by grilo »

Hi!

I'm running into some weird problem...

Sometime after the program is opened, it becomes unclickabe.

Task Manager doesn't show it as "Not Responding".

I just can't click on any VirtualBox's buttons. I can drag its window, when I hover minimize, maximize and close window buttons, they light up. None of then works, minimize does.

And VirtuaBox becomes unclickable...

Also, it happens even before I can create any VM.

My specs:

Asus notebook, Windows 10 Home 64bit (up to date), i7-8750H, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

Regards!
Last edited by socratis on 3. Mar 2019, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox suddenly becomes unclickable

Post by socratis »

Uninstall VirtualBox completely and install the latest version from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
grilo

Post by grilo »

Already did it. More than once...

Didn't solve the problem.

Is there anything than Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.0.4 that I need to remove to certainly do a complete uninstall?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I think it's a problem with your host to be honest. I thought of cleaning up the situation, but apparently that didn't help. The problem is that I have no suggestions for you, because having the VirtualBox Manager not responding with the get-go, is not something that I previously remember.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
grilo

Post by grilo »

Is possible to run VirtualBox in "verbose" mode?

So I can see what is happening under the hood...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not really, not unless you build it from source and you get the debug builds. That's the only way that I know of...
grilo

Post by grilo »

I took a look at source files, but I would like some help to build with debug.

How can I get this kind of help?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Two places that you should start looking: You may find it lonely there... :?
grilo

Post by grilo »

I don't remember to be so pissed off and relieved at the same time

Today I started to download aaaall the (heavy) stuff needed to compile VirtualBox.

But then (I sincerely don't remember how) something gave me the idea to close ASUS GPU Tweak II (a app to monito.r GPU's load, voltage, clock etc).

BAM

VitualBox Manager AND Virtual Machine (a humble Ubuntu 16.04) are running smoth as f#@%

I can't believe that this was the problem...

Certainly a bad program from Asus.

Only to register, this is the application version and specs:

File Description: GPUTweak II
File Version: 1.9.3.0

That's it.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

grilo wrote:something gave me the idea to close ASUS GPU Tweak II
I've never installed any of those "utilities" from a vendor/OEM. In fact the first thing when I get a new computer is to wipe it out, just to clean all those value-added programs, which I personally consider as leeches that are sucking up resources for no apparent gain.

Thank you for the feedback and the solution, hope someone finds it useful in the future. Marking as [WorksForMe].