Mounted drive not usable everywhere in Win10Pro Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
christo_fr

Mounted drive not usable everywhere in Win10Pro Guest

Post by christo_fr »

This re written post replace an old stand alone one.
(sorry for my english)

My host computer is running with Windows 7 Pro.
I use several Win 7 VM with 2 host shared drives D:\ (\\vboxsrv\d) and E:\ (\\vboxsrv\e).
Those 2 drives can be used under D:\ and E:\ drive lettres in all guests VM without any problem.

In my new Win 10 Pro VM those 2 drives seems ok for Windows and softwares like MS Office.
There is no problem to select and open a document stored on D:\ or E:\.

But in the Windows file explorer, if I click on a .txt file stored on D:\ or E:\ to open it with NotePad++ (for example), there is an error message about "invalid path".
In fact, if I want to select/open a file in some softwares (like NP++), drives D:\ and E:\ don't appear beside C:\.

I must admit I'm not able to know if it's a Win10 or VirtualBox problem.

The problem is the same after I :
- uninstall and re install VB Guest Additions,
- manually connect the 2 drives,
- do some stuff with "nbtstat –R" and "net use...."

New second Win 10 Pro machine built today -> same problem :-(

Any idea ?
T.Y.
christo_fr

More informations

Post by christo_fr »

Very strang for me :
The Cmd.exe program works differently depending on whether you are Admin or not.
D: is ok if Cmd.exe is not running under admin
D: is not in line if Cmd.exe is running under admin.
See attachement screenshot
http://jchplat.free.fr/extlink/virtualb ... -26-04.jpg
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Mounted drive not usable everywhere in Win10Pro Guest

Post by scottgus1 »

christo_fr wrote:The Cmd.exe program works differently depending on whether you are Admin or not.
D: is ok if Cmd.exe is not running under admin
D: is not in line if Cmd.exe is running under admin.
Windows changes some of the environment when you run things as Admin. This is by Microsoft's design, not caused by Virtualbox. Among the changes is the loss of letter-mounted shared folders. You can mount the shared folders again while running within the Admin-elevated program, if I remember right, and get access to the drive letters again. You'll have to do it each time you take a program to Admin privileges. Or access the shared folders via the \\backslash\method (for Guest Additions Shared Folders, use \\vboxsvr\foldername).

Could be that your previous post's Notepad++ issues & such arise from the same thing.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mounted drive not usable everywhere in Win10Pro Guest

Post by socratis »

I would suggest to forget the VirtualBox Shared Folders altogether and simply go with Windows Shared Folders. Just share your D:\ and E:\ folders from your host, find them from your guest. Just like if you had two Windows computers side-by-side...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.