[Solved] WIN 10 host/Ubuntu 18.04 - VB 6.04 Shared Folder and Drag & Drop doesnt work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Yashila

[Solved] WIN 10 host/Ubuntu 18.04 - VB 6.04 Shared Folder and Drag & Drop doesnt work

Post by Yashila »

After installing VB 6.04 my shared folder doesnt work anymore in Ubuntu. I see the folder but it is empty, though it is on windows site normally accessible. I tried to mount a new folder, also this isn't working. Also the drag & drop funtion doesnt work anymore. I hope therere will be soon an update which fix the bugs.
Or does anyone can help?
Thank you!
Last edited by socratis on 18. Feb 2019, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: WIN 10 host/Ubuntu 18.04 - VB 6.04 Shared Folder and Drag & Drop doesnt work

Post by socratis »

Did you update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest? You should be updating them whenever you update VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Yashila

Re: WIN 10 host/Ubuntu 18.04 - VB 6.04 Shared Folder and Drag & Drop doesnt work

Post by Yashila »

Hello socratis,

yes, all the updates of the guest additions are made!

I was hoping, as many user seem to have both problems, too, that there will be an update soon ...

Greetings

Yashila
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Daneel Olivaw

Post by Daneel Olivaw »

Hello,

I am having the similar issue as the OP. Windows 10 host. New install of VB 6.04 and guest additions 6.04. New Ubuntu 18.04 VM. Any advice would be appreciated. Please be explicit, I am a noob, especially w/ Ubuntu terminal. Thank you for the help! Log attached.
Attachments
Ubuntu1804-2019-02-14-23-12-14.zip
(34.05 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Daneel Olivaw
00:00:02.894563 File system of 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
00:00:41.456173 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
You have inserted the Guest Additions (GAs) CD, but you haven't actually installed the GAs. What you need to do is to open up a Terminal, and navigate to the CD (replace "<username>" with your actual "username"):
  • cd /media/<username>/VBox_GAs_6.0.4/
    sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
You will get a warning among the rest of the messages:
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution.
So, you install the packages that it asks for:
  • sudo apt-get update                      <-- This will update the list of available packages
    sudo apt-get install gcc make perl       <-- This will actually do the installation
After the list of packages is updated, and you install the packages required, run again the GAs installer:
  • cd /media/<username>/VBox_GAs_6.0.4/
    sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Close the Terminal, eject the GAs CD from the desktop, reboot the guest for good measure. You should be all set...

Oh, one more thing... in order for your guest user to be able to see the contents of the folders, you need to be a member of the 'vboxsf' group:
  • sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf <username>
Reboot the guest after that command in order for the membership to take effect.
Yashila

Post by Yashila »

... drag & drop was working then but the guest addition not. But this made it finally and now everything is good. Thank you so much!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].