VBox crashing Vista; "kernel not installed"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cyrmujmcc

VBox crashing Vista; "kernel not installed"

Post by cyrmujmcc »

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to run a VM on Vista (premium) as host, using VirtualBox. Set-up is extremely easy, even for a newb like myself, but when I attempt to start up the vm, it crashes my computer. I get a "VirtualBox kernel not installed" error.
I've tried: setting up in safe mode,
uninstalling and reinstalling (at least twice),
installing VB 1.3.8,
going to command line w/"cd \Programs\InnoTek VirtualBox
VBoxSVC.exe /ReRegServer
regsvr32.exe VBoxC.dll"
from the FAQ suggestions.

I've probably missed something obvious in these posts, but does anyone have ideas? I'm guessing it relates to Vista's competence, though I've seen quite a few posts from others with no problems with Vista as host.

I've got 10GB in a fixed file for the guest (wanting to install Ubuntu Feisty), along with 512 Ram (with 1GB left for the host). the processor is 64-bit, but it's running 32-bit windows, so I hope that's not the issue. I had linux on an old laptop, but it went kaput and I'm not quite ready to wipe the new one clean, or dual-boot. Again, I'm almost a total newb, so even something really obvious might be helpful. Thanks to anyone who'll help (please?)...
NavS

Post by NavS »

I'm in the exact same boat... I tried a few things but nothing really helped.
Smabbage

Post by Smabbage »

I too have the same problem. I can run VB 1.3.8 without issue on my Windows Vista Host, however, when I upgrade to VB 1.4 and start the program, it crashes immediately. I've since uninstalled 1.4 and reinstalled 1.3.8. I'm at a loss as to what is wrong.
cyrmujmcc

Post by cyrmujmcc »

Thanks very much for the input. At least I know I'm not the only one...I'll try the 1.3.8 again, see how it goes>
bobjoh

Post by bobjoh »

I have recently installed Ubuntu 7.4, to VB with Vista HP 32bit host, no problems, but with the latest version of VB 1.0.4. which is now available.
Picked up internet connection and the new version has some added app's.
Maybe the way to go.
Bob J
cyrmujmcc

Post by cyrmujmcc »

Just FYI for any of those who may still have this same problem: I never could get Virtualbox running, moved over to try VPC2007, and after an extremely long and ardous process installing feisty ubuntu, which in itself had complications, the performance stank (no surprise, I suppose). I went to VMware server, which before had looked too complicated, and have already easily installed feisty and mandriva spring too. No issues whatsoever. I'm not downing virtualbox, because it was probably my own ineptitude, but I wanted to others to know if they cannot resolve this issue, there is an alternative which works very well, with plenty of assistance...
Dieharddia

Post by Dieharddia »

cyrmujmcc wrote:but I wanted to others to know if they cannot resolve this issue, there is an alternative which works very well, with plenty of assistance...
Yep there is indeed: Remove vista, install linux.
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

There's a known problem with recent AMD cpus when you have turned off hardware virtualization in the BIOS. It's been fixed, but a good workaround is to turn it on in the BIOS.