The presence of SCSI/SAS controller prevents saved states from working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
msys

The presence of SCSI/SAS controller prevents saved states from working

Post by msys »

I've tested this (or more like: stumbled upon this) on a 64-bit Win7 host with a 64-bit Win7 guest but it can possibly affect other platforms as well:

I'm using the newest VirtualBox 6.0.2.

Whenever under 'Storage' tab I have 'Controller: SAS' or 'Controller: SCSI' (or both), 'saved states' cannot get restored, even if there are no drives attached to them (I'm not normally using these controllers but in one of my VMs I had them added with no drives - that is how I got into the problem; I tried adding empty CD drives to them but it still didn't work).

Instead, when trying to power on such a VM with a saved state:
1. the progress bar goes to 100%
2. sometimes an 'Application Error' window pops out (sometimes not)
3. 'VirtualBox - Error' window pops out (always) with one of the errors (depending on which controller has been enabled):
- 'Failed to load unit 'lsilogicsas' (VERR_SMM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE).'
- 'Failed to load unit 'lsilogicscsi' (VERR_SMM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE).'

Removing both controllers fixes the problem (but obviously this is not really a solution). Deleting the saved state (via 'Discard') allows for starting the VM properly.

In case this is not reproducible on your end, I can provide more details.

Regards, Michal.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: The presence of SCSI/SAS controller prevents saved states from working

Post by andyp73 »

There have been a number of saved state related issues with VirtualBox 6.0.x. This appears to be a manifestation of bug #18263: Restoring 32bit Windows7 VM Saved State Fails. It would be worth following that ticket in the bug tracker and also some of the early comments on Discuss the 6.0.0 release.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
MMNOnTheWeb
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Oracle UEK 6.4

Post by MMNOnTheWeb »

Hi,

My original post (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91079) was closed by moderator with args/solutions that do not apply to my case :shock: , so I will try this stream.

I use Vbox for years, even when it was'nt Oracle's. I KNOW THAT UPGRADING VBOX MAY CORRUPT SAVED STATES.
I experienced that several times, but after discarding save states as proposed in last post (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91079), I was always able to save states and cleanly restart from these saved states.

Since Vbox 6.0, this is not possible. Release after release i hope but as of date i am still deceived.

my Host is W10 64bits and my guests are Linux OEL7 64 bits.

I know that SATA are not involved in such behaviour.

So my question is : How to migrate from SCSI to SATA. Changing only the controllers will prevent the VMs to start.

Thank you for your attention

Regards

Michel
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I thought the previous topic had been answered (a ticket was raised) and abandoned. Readers should please note that "me too" posts in this topic will be deleted, unless it is backed with credible observations to show that it is indeed the same problem and not the more common variant previously mentioned.