Unable to install VBoxExtension: "Network operation failed"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Slimfast

Unable to install VBoxExtension: "Network operation failed"

Post by Slimfast »

Dear all,

I am having trouble installing the VBox Extentension under Windows, I get this error:

Network Operations Manager:
Verifying VirtualBox Extension Pack...
The network operation failed with the following error:
During network request: Unknown reason.

Screenshot see here:
Screenshot
Screenshot
Error.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
Some spec: Win10-Pro-up-to-date as of 2019-01-20, VBox 6.0.2, VBoxExtensions 6.0.2.
VBox-Extension 6.0.0 worked fine and are still installed. Turning MS-AntiVirus and MS-FireWall off does not help.

It looks like this happened in the past (4.x.x release) already, but I did not find a useful solution. What can I do?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to install VBoxExtension: "Network operation failed"

Post by socratis »

Does it still happen? There were some problems with the site, which are fixed now. Can you try again?

Otherwise, download the ExtPack from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jnb

Re: Unable to install VBoxExtension: "Network operation failed"

Post by jnb »

I get exactly the same error now (15 January 2020), having accepted the latest VB update to Version 6.0.16 r135674.

Following the advice here to go to http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, from there I download from https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack
when I do that and accept agreement I get

Code: Select all

Failed to load the main module ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxPuelMain.DLL'): VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND - GetLastError=127.
What now, please? What state am I in from a VB + ExtPack that was working fine till I accepted trying the latest upgrade, am I now in a "halfway house" or what??

EDIT: So I just tried to run up my VB and I get

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 19.04.

Implementation of the USB 3.0 controller not found!

Because the USB 3.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 3.0 support in the VM settings (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Downgrading to USB 2.0 gives same message for 2.0. And I can't use the VB without USB support. Absolutely brilliant, so now I can't even get into the VM, and so cannot do any work at all :(

I do understand that VB is free software, and I am grateful to members who kindly answer questions here, but compared to a while ago these days I seem to have problems each time I accept an update to VB. I wish I learned to no longer accept updates to VB... :(

EDIT2
Found this problem is also currently reported in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96409. See posts there, including my attempts to get VB running again.