VBox 6.0.2 Audio Playback Glitch

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Markm

VBox 6.0.2 Audio Playback Glitch

Post by Markm »

Audio is glitched in upgrade from 5.2.22 to 6.0.2

Let me first say that I think VBox is a wonderful application. Thank you to high heaven!! The downside is that I'm rather dependent on it.

Version of VirtualBox and installed the Guest Additions: 6.0.2 with installed Guest Addition matching version number.
Host & Guest make, version including 32 or 64 bit, and the amount of memory available to both.:
Host: ASUS i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz; 16.0(15.9 usable) GB; 64 bit x64-based processor, Win 10 Home; Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Guest: XP Home Service Pack 3, 32 bit, Base Memory 2048 MB, Video Memory 60 MB Screens: 2 [currently & usually run only 1 screen]

I went ahead & installed ver 6.0.2 & also installed the guest additions to see what effect it would have on my problem with drive assignments/mapping (see separate topic).

Unfortunately, while I rather like the appearance of the interface (I'm not sure why it looks nicer, but I think it does) the update/upgrade had no other effect that I noticed, but did have one negative one, as follows:
  • 1. XPVM guest shut down results in the Windows XP closing tones being full of static and with skipping sound, similar to the jittery sound of a person speaking into a running fan (if you've ever hear that, it's a very odd sound).
    2. XPVM upon coming back up with the above-noted restart, produces all sounds in the same defective way - static sounding with the skipping wierd sound delivery as described, not only during the startup process, but when any application produces a sound.
    3. As you would predict, the shut down sounds again have the same problem as described in #1 above.
I'll be attempting to revert to ver 5.2.22 to resolve the sound problem, particularly since 6.0.2 didn't help w/ the drive assigment/mapping problem anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, though if I successfully revert to 5.2.22, I won't be reupgrading/updating to 6.0.2 unless if offers a solution to the drive assigment/mapping problem.

These are the most recent logs with the ver 6.0.2 with 6.0.2 guest additions:
Logs (log & hardening) - Mark'sWindowsXPOS-2019-01-19-15-59-54.zip
These logs also added to the Drive Assigment/Mapping problem under separate topic.
(53.01 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. Jn 6.68
bobrnautus

Re: VBox 6.0.2 Audio Playback Glitch

Post by bobrnautus »

I can confirm this, audio is broken i Windows XP guests when ac97 is used. Host is Windows 10 64bit, Virtualbox 6.0.2. Edit: This isssue is fixed in 6.0.3 r128259 dev build for me. Have a nice day.
UliBär
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP and lots of Linuxes

Post by UliBär »

I can confirm VirtualBox version 5.2.24 also has this same audio bug on Windows 10 host with every installed VM, including XP and a bunch of Linuxes.
On a Windows 7 Pro host everything is fine though. Version 5.2.22 does not have this erratic behavior.
Ascadix

Post by Ascadix »

Same pb here.

The 6.0.0 has relatively solved sound pb from v5.2.x but 6.0.2 reintroduce distorded sound pb.

Soun is distorded as soon as the VM is booted and permently, not the intermitent pb after a few minute that was here in v5.2.x.

Host : Win7 64bits
Guest : XP 32bits (2 guests)

not tested other guest, nor v5.2.24 . rolled back to v6.0.0 host
sherekhan

Post by sherekhan »

Same thing here after upgrading from 5.2 to 6.0.2 on 2 different hosts, both hosts running Win 7 x64. All guests have choppy and stuttering audio after upgrade, guests OSes include Win 7 x64, XP x86 and Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS x64. Extension pack and guest additions are updated.