Shortcuts for VMs under 6.0.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
corhsin

Shortcuts for VMs under 6.0.2

Post by corhsin »

Socratis said this was reported fixed. It is not fixed. Utilizing VM shortcuts created with 5.x do not function with 6.0.2. An error was presented about StartVM (IIRC).

Second, using the command to create a shortcut for a VM will overwrite any similar shortcut without prompting. If I have an "Ubuntu" shortcut on my desktop (e. g. for an application) and my VM, named Ubuntu, is told to create a shortcut, it overwrites my existing Ubuntu shortcut without prompting.

Thank you.

P. S. My system, Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME, 6*8GB DDR3-1600, Intel Xeon W3690, GeForce 1080 8GB, a slew of drives and etc.
Using 6.0.2, the extensions installed, Win7x64 Ultimate, WinVista64 Home Premium, a few others, the VM's display updated slow and at times so slowly seconds passed. If I can do some .light. troubleshooting, please notify me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shortcuts for VMs under 6.0.2

Post by socratis »

For the first part, on our discussion on IRC, there was a misunderstanding, which became rather clear from your post here... You are talking about pre-existing shortcuts that point to "VirtualBox.exe" instead of the new "VirtualBoxVM.exe". That has not been fixed and it will not be fixed. You need to manually change the shortcuts or re-create them.

What I was talking about was the bug in 6.0.0 where new shortcuts, created with 6.0.0 would still point to "VirtualBox.exe" instead of the new "VirtualBoxVM.exe". That has been fixed with 6.0.1 r128006 or later. See ticket #18207: VM shortcut start does not work (anymore) for more details.

As for the second part, I confirmed the issue on Win7-64, and I opened ticket #18337: "Create a Shortcut on Desktop" overwrites existing shortcut with no warning.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.