BLKCACHE_IOERR while installing Lubuntu on USB flash drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ted-tanner

BLKCACHE_IOERR while installing Lubuntu on USB flash drive

Post by ted-tanner »

I am attempting to install Lubuntu on a SanDisk USB Flash Drive and boot it via VirtualBox on a Windows host. To do this, I created a raw .vmdk file and linked it to my USB drive using the following command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename C:\path\to\file\disk.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1 
I have "inserted" the Lubuntu .iso and Lubuntu boots up. When I go to install it, though, it takes me through the setup and I tell it to begin the installation. As soon as it begins, I get the following error:
An error has occurred during virtual machine execution! The error details are shown below. You may try to correct the error and resume the virtual machine execution.

The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-0" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). Make sure there is enough free space on the disk and that the disk is working properly. Operation can be resumed afterwards.

Error ID: BLKCACHE_IOERR
Severity: Non-Fatal Error
I've booted from physical drives in VBox before and never had this error appear. How can I resolve it so I can install Lubuntu?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: BLKCACHE_IOERR while installing Lubuntu on USB flash drive

Post by socratis »

Have you searched for "BLKCACHE_IOERR site:virtualbox.org" to see what you can find? Because there are a lot of hits, including this open ticket #16454 VERR_ACCESS_DENIED when using raw disk on Windows 10 host, plus many, many more...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.