Virtualbox not starting.. seems unfixable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
codeMaster

Virtualbox not starting.. seems unfixable

Post by codeMaster »

I still have this issue after a half year of trying things. Which is horrible because I need Virtualbox for my Uni next semester. And if it doesn't work I might fail an entire semester because of this.

The problem is whenever I start Virtualbox.exe it just doesn´t start.. It shows the little Windows hourglass for half a second and then nothing happens. When I check my task manager I do see virtual box started these 2 processes called:
Virtual box manager: https://imgur.com/IpuN6V1
Virtual box interface: https://imgur.com/dghqniO
But virtual box just doesn't start.

FYI(If you need any more information let me know):
- Using windows 10 Pro
- I'm using a 64 bit OS and intel i7 7700k processor.
- Downloaded the latest Virtual Box for windows hosts https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads (VirtualBox-6.0.2-128162-Win)
- Saved Virtual Box in my Program Files folder (C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox)

Here is a list of things that I tried.
- Turned off Hyper-V (https://imgur.com/PALJBKc)
- Turned off Device guard (https://imgur.com/d4Z5cH4)
- Turned on Intel virtualization technology protection in my BIOS.
- Uninstalling and installing Virtual box a million times.
- Tried installing previous versions of Virtual box
- I tried the repair option for Virtual box and it gives me this error: https://imgur.com/a/VilqK5J. But it gives an error missing a msi. file.

If you have any idea's, or things that I might try, please let me know.

Help is very much appreciated.
Last edited by codeMaster on 18. Jan 2019, 02:12, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox not starting.. seems unfixable

Post by mpack »

What is "VBox.exe" ?

If you mean VirtualBox.exe then that simply runs the manager, i.e. the user interface, which doesn't care at all about Hyper-v, DeviceGuard, VT-x et al. Only the running VM processes care about those things, depending on their settings.

So let's back up. Did you install VirtualBox yourself, using the official installer? Did you use "Run as administrator" while logged in as yourself? (not while logged into the admin account).
codeMaster

Post by codeMaster »

Yes I mean virtualbox.exe.
I'll try to be more specific.

Virtual box the program itself doesn't run. I'm running it usual way, just right click and > run as admin. on either the pictogram on my desktop(generated after installation) or the .exe in the installation folder, so I'm pretty sure I'm starting the right one. I said .exe to clarify the program itself doesn't start because many people would assume I'm talking about VM's but I'm not.

Anyway,
When I try to run with admin, it just loads half a second and then nothing happens. No user interface pops-up like it should, when I check my task manager I see these processes running: Virtual box manager, virtual box interface and virtual box global interface. but again, no interface.

After research I found these might help: turning off hyper-v, turning off device guard, turning on intel virtualization technology. So I did, no improvements.

I also tried downloading older versions, and reinstalling a million times, using revo installer to see if some old files might be still on my pc, still, no succes.

I checked the log files in "c\users\myname\.virtlabox" but none there.

Then I tried using the "repair" functions from program and features. It gave me an error "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource not available". Then it says: Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "VirtualBox-6.0.2-r128162-MultiArch_amd64.msi". Then it asks me for a path. However, I'm not sure this problem is anything related to the original problem of my GUI not starting.

Where do I go from here?
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2019, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

This post makes less sense the longer it goes on. What host machine is being used? This forum is called VirtualBox on Windows Hosts. How did VirtualBox-6.0.2-r128162-MultiArch_amd64.msi come into the discussion?

If you are running a Windows host, you need the Windows version VirtualBox-6.0.2-128162-Win.exe Download this file and run it with admin privilege and it will install VirtualBox. When the installer finishes it will automatically start the application. The application does not run with admin privilege and you should not try to run it with admin privilege. Only the installer needs that - the application runs under your account with no extra privilege.

If you are on a Windows host you start VirtualBox in the same way that you start any other application in Windows. You click on its name in the program menu or you double-click its shortcut.
Bill
codeMaster

Post by codeMaster »

Hello Bill,

Yes I'm using Windows 10 Pro.
I didn't mean to confuse you with my post. I'll explain it again in easy steps.

I just tried this again:
1. Uninstall any Virtual box version(+ delete any virtualbox related files I can find with revo uninstaller)
2. Download latest VirtualBox 6.0.2 Platform Package Windows host (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)
3. Run installer with Admin Rights.
4. Virtual Box doesn't start after the installation even though "Start automatically is checked", start the application by double clicking the Virtual box shortcut doesn't work either.

So what I did from here was go to Windows Configuration > program & features > Oracle VM Virtualbox 6.0.2 > Right Click "edit" > Repair. (I thought this would potentially fix it)
And at this moment it asks me for VirtualBox-6.0.2-r128162-MultiArch_amd64.msi. Which might be the part that gets you confused, and it gets me confused as well.
I'm not sure why it asks for this.

I did however, execute everything as you told me to.
Also... I edited my post above ^ with screenshots and more information which might make it easier.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2019, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Here's my "recipe" for installing VirtualBox when everything else fails:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
If that doesn't work, something is seriously wrong with your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Maxiso90

Post by Maxiso90 »

I have the same problem,
Even after following all your instructions VirtualBox simply won't open.
It will show the manager and interface in the TaskManager, but that's it. nothing pops up, nothing starts.
When doouble clicking any VirtualBox icon in order to launch it it will just show the "loading windows circle" for half a second and then everything stay the same way, nothing is launched.

Any tip?
Thanks,
Max
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Maxiso90
  1. Log on as a local Administrator
    • This has absolutely nothing to do with the installation of VirtualBox, it has to do with logging the installation. It is doable but way more convoluted if you want to do it as a simple user.
  2. Uninstall VirtualBox (if installed)
    • Enable MSI logging
      • Copy-paste the following to a text file and save it as "LogEnable.reg".

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
        "Logging"="voicewarmupx" 
        "Debug"=dword:00000007

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace]
        "Flags"=dword:00000016
        "Level"=dword:00000004

• Double-click on the file to merge the information in the registry. Accept the warnings.
      • The last message should be a successful merge information box.
    • Install VirtualBox
      • Right-click on "VirtualBox-6.y.z-#####-Win.exe" and select "Run as Administrator". Even if you are the Administrator. There is a huge difference in Windows between being an Administrator and using "Run as Administrator".
      • Proceed with the full installation.
      • The installation will be slower because we're logging everything.
    • Examine the logs
      • Go to Start, Run..., enter "%temp%". It will open an Explorer window on your Temp directory.
      • There will be a file called "MSI#####.log". It would be easier to find if you sort them by Date. It's the newest one.
      • Copy it to your Desktop for safekeeping. ZIP it and attach it to your response.
    • Disable MSI logging
      • MSI logs are big and they slow down the installation. So, we'll disable MSI logging.
      • Copy-paste the following to a text file and save it as "LogDisable.reg".

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
        "Logging"=-
        "Debug"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace]

• Double-click on the file to merge the information in the registry. Accept the warnings.
      • The last message should be a successful merge information box.
    Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
    Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
    If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
    Gfalves

Post by Gfalves »

@Maxiso90

I had exactly the same problem as you.

By chance I noticed that BlueStack started to not work after the installs and uninstalls of Virtual Box.

So I uninstalled Virtual Box --> Rebooted --> uninstall blueStack --> Installed VirtualBox --> Rebooted. Everything works again with VirtualBox.

Do you have BlueStack installed?

If so, try to uninstall it.

Perhaps this is a random thing, but since it worked for me. It might help someone else :)

Best,
    Gonçalo
    looni

Post by looni »

I am having the same problem...

I have checked all messages in this thread, but nothing helps. I logged the installation (check the attachment).

Would be nice if someone could help.
    Attachments
    MSI758d.zip
    Installation log
    (120.49 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
    mpack
    Site Moderator
    Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please start your own topic to discuss installation issues. The OPs topic does not even mention installation except after the fact during the usual aimless thrashing about in hope of solving a problem, and he doesn't mention anything about those installs not happening.

Most installation issues are caused by permissions issues: use "Run as administrator" to run the installer. But do not install the software while logged in as the Admin user account unless that's how you intend to log in forever.