VB 6.0 build 128162 for Windows broken on Win 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mrzenwiz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows, CentOS

VB 6.0 build 128162 for Windows broken on Win 10

Post by mrzenwiz »

I went to update from 5.2.22 to 5.2.24 and instead downloaded the default (6.0.2).

When I installed this on my Win 10 work system, I went through the usual reboot and reloading the extension pack, then I tried to boot my Xubuntu 18.04 VM. It failed with this:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Xubuntu1804LTS.

The virtual machine 'Xubuntu1804LTS' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\mrichter\VirtualBox VMs\Xubuntu1804LTS\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
I thought maybe it was the VM itself, so I tried to boot my Xubuntu 16.04 VM and it failed the exact same way. (Yes, I use both and they were working fine on 5.2.22.)

I figured it may have been a problem with not doing a full uninstall-reboot-reinstall, but I did that and it still failed to boot my VM. (I am not familiar enough with what VB does to make sense out of the hardening log.)

I uninstalled, rebooted and installed 5.2.24, which came up fine and works perfectly.

I also went back and repeated that same process (uninstall, reboot, install) with 6.0.2 - same errors again.

I'm back up on 5.24 with my VM running smoothly, and in the process I lost an hour and half of work time because of this.

I regret to say that I forgot to save the hardening log to be able to post it here. I can reproduce that at will if needed (and I recall to save the log). I can send what I have, but it only contains one error that I don't believe is the issue (there should have been at least two copies of the error, even though I got more than two total).

I suppose I have this expectation that a new release will actually work first time out when it's a major release upgrade.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2019, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB 6.0 build 128162 for Windows broken on Win 10

Post by socratis »

mrzenwiz wrote:I suppose I have this expectation that a new release will actually work first time out when it's a major release upgrade.
Who said anything about not working? I don't get it... It works and it works just fine. But, since the hardening checking have tightened in 6.0.x, expect more improper setups to fail. I have 3 Win hosts, none has not triggered any hardening alerts...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mrzenwiz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows, CentOS

Post by mrzenwiz »

since the hardening checking have tightened in 6.0.x, expect more improper setups to fail
Perhaps you can help me out here - what would be improper about a setup that works perfectly in 5.2.26? How do I find out?

Per a previous post of mine and your reply, I'm sure this is an MS issue - I never have these problems at home on my Xubuntu host, only on Win 10 at work (where I have no choice as to what the host runs).

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mrzenwiz wrote:what would be improper about a setup that works perfectly in 5.2.26? How do I find out?
With the VBoxHardening.log, but that's not a guarantee either, we're not trained to read them "professionally".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.