URGENT!! AC97 audio help

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ac97user

URGENT!! AC97 audio help

Post by ac97user »

Hi guys

Right so I’m struggling to understand the guides for this but I have installed the ICH AC97 file as I have sound on my windows98SE virtual box BUT no sound on escape from Horrorland game

Can somebody PLEASE for an idiot like me guide me through adding ICHAC97 to the account

When I go to setting on virtual box I have the option to select AC’97 but then there is NO SOUND ON WINDOWS START UP AND ‘no audio deleted” on sound folder so please please somebody guide me on getting the sound working properly

Thank you so much
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: URGENT!! AC97 audio help

Post by mpack »

Windows 98 does not have native support for the AC'97 audio chipset, so you need to find a download link for compatible (with Win9x) drivers, copy them to an ISO and mount the ISO in the VM, then install them.

Or just use SoundBlaster mode, which Win98 does have native support for.

Incidentally, I fail to see why you labelled this topic as URGENT when you only want to play a game. That doesn't sound very urgent to me. Will you get SWATed if you can't play with sound?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

mpack wrote:so you need to find a download link for compatible (with Win9x) drivers
I think you specifically need the Windows 95 drivers from the Realtek website. The .exe installer complains about the Windows version so you have to unpack them with WinZIP (or similar) and then manually install them through device manager.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The link I found for Win95 drivers took me to a Chinese language web page which did not have the drivers. At that point I stopped looking, since I'm not the one who needs them!