[Solved] Can't run Windows VMs after upgrade to VB6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BlanderSQL

[Solved] Can't run Windows VMs after upgrade to VB6

Post by BlanderSQL »

My Linux VMs run fine, but my Windows10 and Windows Server 2019 both error with:
Duplicate config values '/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B' and '/CPUM/IsaExts/CMPXCHG16B' - please remove the former! (VERR_DUPLICATE).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 16. Jan 2019, 03:04, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't run Windows VMs after upgrade to VB6

Post by socratis »

You must have either done something from the command line that you shouldn't, or you got this VM from somewhere else. Both of these are details that you should have told us about...

I'd like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Explorer".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BlanderSQL

Post by BlanderSQL »

The VM was created in version 5.x on the same host- a Windows 7 64-bit machine. I have not done anything on a command line to the VM, nor anything Virtualbox related ever.

Thanks
Attachments
Win2019.zip
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Did you try doing what the message told you to do - remove the duplicate entry?
Bill
BlanderSQL

Post by BlanderSQL »

BillG wrote:Did you try doing what the message told you to do - remove the duplicate entry?
Thanks, that worked. I had to manually comment this line out in VirtualBox.xml
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B" value="1"/>

not sure how or when that was added, i have never edited that file before, nor used the command line tool.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I thought you made a mistake when you said "VirtualBox.xml", but apparently not, it was indeed there and not in the "Win2019.vbox". It was a global setting!
BlanderSQL wrote:not sure how or when that was added, i have never edited that file before, nor used the command line tool.
Yet you knew which file to edit, and when to edit it (with all VBox processes closed)? Impressive...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BlanderSQL

Post by BlanderSQL »

Yep, I had to google for where it was located since nothing in the .vbox file had the CPUM setting.
Google pointed me to: https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vb ... 14161.html
I went to %USERPROFILE% and in the .VirtualBox folder and looked for files not with Log in the name, there's a bunch.
Then in the config file the header notes specifically says to not make changes with anything virtualbox running since "your changes will be overwritten later, without taking effect."
Last edited by socratis on 16. Jan 2019, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I said... impressive! Hats off to you! 8)
Marking as [Solved].
burkecabaniss
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows 7, fc10

Re: [Solved] Can't run Windows VMs after upgrade to VB6

Post by burkecabaniss »

I have exact same problem but cannot find file to "just do it". I have naive simple W10 on Linux host that worked before upgrade. I do find VirtualBox.xml files. I find no files containing value "CHG16B" anywhere in my file system except in sources (/opt/VirtualBox/src). I believe I have read all above. Please advise.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: [Solved] Can't run Windows VMs after upgrade to VB6

Post by andyp73 »

It will either be in the VirtualBox.xml file or in the .vbox file for the Windows 10 guest. You are going to have to search around as we aren't sat in front of your computer. 10.1. Where Oracle VM VirtualBox Stores its Files should tell you where to go looking.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.