Unable to launch Virtual Box 6.0 VM after windows 10 update (#18294)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
viper610

Unable to launch Virtual Box 6.0 VM after windows 10 update (#18294)

Post by viper610 »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18294: bug after windows 10 update... I think
Has anyone else experienced this or have a possible solution.

Windows 10 Home performed many updates yesterday and up till this point I have had no issues.
I tried to launch one of my windows 10 VM's and it opens a new window, then closes and gives the following error.
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 10 VM.

Failed to load API DLL: WinHvPlatform.dll: VERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND; vid.dll: VERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND (VERR_NEM_INIT_FAILED).

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Any thoughts?

in reference to Ticket #18294
Last edited by socratis on 12. Jan 2019, 05:37, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
viper610

Unable to launch Virtual Box 6.0 VM after windows 10 update

Post by viper610 »

found "Windows Hypervisor Platform" box unchecked in windows features.

weird as I never messed with that.
Last edited by viper610 on 11. Jan 2019, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
viper610

Re: Unable to launch Virtual Box 6.0 VM after windows 10 update

Post by viper610 »

nm will not load a machine but now hangs on windows loading screen
or ubuntu will just show black screen and freeze.

in either case no error message from Virtual Box Now
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to launch Virtual Box 6.0 VM after windows 10 update (#18294)

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
viper610

Post by viper610 »

Thanks for the Reply socratis.

However I couldn't wait to get it going so did a windows reset and now it works. When all the updates download again, will follow those steps if the problem arises again.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

viper610 wrote:did a windows reset and now it works
What do you mean by a "reset"? Did you recreate the VM? Did you revert to a previous restore point? And are you referring to your host or your guest?

Please let me know so we can tag the thread and the ticket as appropriate.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hani

Post by hani »

I have the same problem on a completely new laptop, and I do unfortunately not see any solution here.
I have uploaded an attachment as requested above.
I would be grateful to have this problem resolved.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:02.187983 VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-4009
Disable Hyper-v, and all Hyper-v related features.

Related FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Siasconset

Post by Siasconset »

MPack,

Thank you for your contributions here.

Your advice to disable Hyper-V (bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off) before running VirtualBox is repeated often in many places on the internet; some even say Hyper-V and VirtualBox are absolutely incompatible and cannot co-exist. However, as mentioned above in this thread, VirtualBox seems to be dependent on it in some instances to function at all, and integrates it optionally in others. From Oracle:
10.4. Paravirtualization Providers
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html

Oracle VM VirtualBox enables the exposure of a paravirtualization interface, to facilitate accurate and efficient execution of software within a virtual machine. These interfaces require the guest operating system to recognize their presence and make use of them in order to leverage the benefits of communicating with the Oracle VM VirtualBox hypervisor.

Most modern mainstream guest operating systems, including Windows and Linux, ship with support for one or more paravirtualization interfaces. Hence, there is typically no need to install additional software in the guest to take advantage of this feature.

Exposing a paravirtualization provider to the guest operating system does not rely on the choice of host platforms. For example, the Hyper-V paravirtualization provider can be used for VMs to run on any host platform supported by Oracle VM VirtualBox and not just Windows.

Oracle VM VirtualBox provides the following interfaces:

Minimal: Announces the presence of a virtualized environment. Additionally, reports the TSC and APIC frequency to the guest operating system. This provider is mandatory for running any Mac OS X guests.

KVM: Presents a Linux KVM hypervisor interface which is recognized by Linux kernels version 2.6.25 or later. Oracle VM VirtualBox's implementation currently supports paravirtualized clocks and SMP spinlocks. This provider is recommended for Linux guests.

Hyper-V: Presents a Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor interface which is recognized by Windows 7 and newer operating systems. Oracle VM VirtualBox's implementation currently supports paravirtualized clocks, APIC frequency reporting, guest debugging, guest crash reporting and relaxed timer checks. This provider is recommended for Windows guests.
Amazingly, I haven't found any discussion of this apparent contradiction elsewhere yet. Am I missing something reeeeeely basic, and so am confused? Thanks.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Siasconset wrote:some even say Hyper-V and VirtualBox are absolutely incompatible and cannot co-exist
The host CPU provides one and only one VT-x interface. In order for multiple virtualisation tools to co-exist on a host then they need to share that VT-x interface through an acquire-use-release mechanism. Hyper-V and recent KVM implementations don't share they acquire the VT-x interface at start-up and that is it. That is why there are many responses to forum questions in relation to VirtualBox 5.x.xx and older versions saying disable VT-x support.

VirtualBox 6.0.0 introduced a new mechanism whereby if it can't get access to VT-x and sees that Hyper-V is running then it will attempt to use that instead. You can tell if that happens as the turtle icon appears to show the slow operation of the guest.

The Paravirtualization Providers discussed in section 10.4 of the user manual is something that VirtualBox provides to the guest operating system and is distinct from the host requirements described above.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The virtualization support APIs presented to the guest (described in that section of the manual) HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the VT-x/AMD-v features required by the VirtualBox host application.
hani

Post by hani »

mpack wrote:
00:00:02.187983 VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-4009
Disable Hyper-v, and all Hyper-v related features.

Related FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Thanks for the help. It turned out in my case that the IT service did their best to disable the possibility to use VitualBox, so I unfortunately had to switch to Hyper-V.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

hani wrote: Thanks for the help. It turned out in my case that the IT service did their best to disable the possibility to use VitualBox, so I unfortunately had to switch to Hyper-V.
Yep. The attitude of most IT people seems to be that the purpose of a PC is to run anti-virus and other security functions. If it can do that, plus send emails, then their job is done.
Sandeep Panigrahi

Post by Sandeep Panigrahi »

Solution: Go to " Turn windows features on or off " -> uncheck all the hyper-v related settings -> restart your machine -> try loading the virtual box software and It should let you in.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sandeep Panigrahi,
Interesting that you had to quote the FAQ I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests that's quoted several times in this thread, 6 months after the thread was pretty much closed...