[Solved] Guest not updating screen until clicking in host v6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ZAHROC

[Solved] Guest not updating screen until clicking in host v6

Post by ZAHROC »

VB v6.0.0 r127566
Windows 10 v 10.0.17763.195 (Host and Guest)

Installing a Windows 10 guest works fine until the Virtualbox Guest additions are installed and then the guest screen does update unless I click somewhere outside the guest window.

I have duplicated with with a new guest install and an attachment of an existing vhd.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Clay
Attachments
Windows 10 x64 - Sandbox-2019-01-07-12-51-53.zip
(34.17 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by socratis on 7. Jan 2019, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest not updating screen until clicking in host v6

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ZAHROC

Post by ZAHROC »

Logs have been uploaded.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.277678 VMSVGA3dEnabled  <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:03.277678 VMSVGAEnabled    <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:01.196141 VRamSize         <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
00:00:04.668386 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
  • Shut down the VM.
  • Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen.
    • Change the Graphics controller from "VBoxSVGA" to "VBoxVGA".
    • Enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
    • Increase the VRAM to the max 256 MB.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ZAHROC

Post by ZAHROC »

That seems to have fixed it!
Thanks for the quick response and resolution.
Any ideas why this changed as I do not recall having to make changes like this in the past?

Thanks again!

Clay
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ZAHROC wrote:Any ideas why this changed as I do not recall having to make changes like this in the past?
You created a new VM, with VirtualBox 6.0.0. This release introduced two new virtual GPUs (vGPUs) for the guests; VBoxSVGA (mostly for Win) and VMSVGA (mostly for Linux), in addition to the old one VBoxVGA (for everything). You didn't have to change anything in the past, because that option simply wasn't there.

Since it was a newly created VM, the default vGPU for Windows guests was chosen; VBoxSVGA (with the "S"). Like with every new release, the new vGPUs have issues. You bumped on one of them...

Marking as [Solved].
quizerti

Re: [Solved] Guest not updating screen until clicking in host v6

Post by quizerti »

Just to add that I also get this, normally after installing Guest Additions.
Jordo

Post by Jordo »

I am facing the exact same problem in Virtualbox 5.2.28 (I cannot upgrade to v6 due to restrictions from my university).
When trying to do the proposed solution, I run into the following problem:
1) I do not see the option to change the virtual controller
2) Trying to enable 2D video acceleration does not work as the following message pops up:
''The virtual machine is set up to Video Stream Acceleration. As this feature only works with Windows guest systems it will be disabled.''

Only enabling 3D video acceleration and increasing my Vram to max does not seem to fix the problem.

Trying to run a Linux guest on a Windows 10 host. I uploaded the first log as well.
Attachments
Linux nr. 10-2019-05-12-12-16-08.rar
(22.65 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jordo wrote:I am facing the exact same problem
No, you're not, not even close. So please don't just post in any thread you think you should, read the facts and see the differences:
  • You're not seeing the option to change the controller, because it wasn't there before 6.0.0.
  • You're not able to enable 2D acceleration, because it only applies to Windows guests.
Does not seem the same problem anymore, does it? So, please open a new thread, it's as easy as hijacking somebody else's thread.