VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
StevieDvd

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by StevieDvd »

Hi,

I hope this is an acceptable question for this thread since it relates specifically to VirtualBox 6 & Hyper-V.

Is there a working minimum spec for running VirtualBox 6 on an Azure Windows host (sub-virtualisation)? I would rather use the recommended setup than try several and find them non-functional.

I am trying to get a solution in the cloud that will have a external ip address for the host machine (working) and also run an embedded VM with Centos Linux (working using Hyper-V VM) that can connect both to the host machine and be accessible externally too. My end users are VirtualBox fans and Linux users so the MS Hyper-V VM option is not ideal.

As well as a cloud server I will need to supply an offline VM for them to use on their laptops [when access to the cloud is not available] so VirtualBox would be their first choice. This part is already done hence my query on the best Azure cloud/VirtualBox pairing.

That will just leave me with the puzzle on how to allow them to connect to the host & embedded VM ) all via the host & VM web based apps, so to the end user they would not realise the VM was embedded on a server (itself a VM).

Thanks
rjrapier

VirtualBox 6 with Hyper-v On Windows 10 1809

Post by rjrapier »

I have searched all over the web for answers, the only ones that have worked have been to completely disable Hyper-V and run VirtualBox without it. I need to have Hyper-V on, and have been trying to get VirtualBox 6 to work with it. All I get is the dreaded Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT).

I did a clean install of virtual box 6.0.4 r128413.

Host is 64 bit Windows 10 Pro fully updated build 1809, 16GB memory.
Guest is not even installed yet, didn't get that far, it is set as 32 bit Ubuntu with base 1GB memory.
No additions installed in guest yet.

VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log attached.

Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS, Hyper-V, Virtual Machine Platform, and Windows Hypervisor Platform features are all turned on.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(47.42 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 6 with Hyper-v On Windows 10 1809

Post by socratis »

From ch. 9.34 Using Hyper-V with Oracle VM VirtualBox, I'll include the whole chapter, it's that big:
Oracle VM VirtualBox can be used on a Windows host where Hyper-V is running. This is an experimental feature.

No configuration is required. Oracle VM VirtualBox detects Hyper-V automatically and uses Hyper-V as the virtualization engine for the host system. The CPU icon in the VM window status bar indicates that Hyper-V is being used.
  • Note: When using this feature, you might experience significant Oracle VM VirtualBox performance degradation on some host systems.
In your case, from the log we see:
00:00:02.593913 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.654669 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
It seems that you have Hyper-V enabled. You can tell if this is true from the status bar where the "slow" icon (Image) shows. If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon (Image) would show.

If you have to have Hyper-V enabled, you're going to be looking at a performance equal to the flow of molasses in the Arctic circle during winter. Or a tortoise running the 100 m, hence the icon...

And please note that "might work" in the log, it's not a guarantee...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rjrapier

Post by rjrapier »

Yes, I understand the performance hit ramifications. The point of my post was to ask if anyone can help with actually getting it to work WITH Hyper-V.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm going to move/merge your topic with the sticky thread that deals with the general question of Hyper-V and VirtualBox. Please read the thread from the beginning...

And do remember the following that the developers have put in the logs:
socratis wrote:
00:00:02.654669 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Joel
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Joel »

socratis wrote:...so this might work...
Can you clarify what this means for the case that it does not work? I understand that it's probably buggy and has performance degradation, but if it flat out doesn't work in what I believe to be a very common configuration, should we submit logs and information to help the developers fix it? Or is it a feature that is given to us by the good grace of the developers, and if it doesn't work, we just accept that and move on to other things?

By the way, I searched for the aforementioned sticky thread, but I couldn't find it. Would you mind linking it? (Or is it now this thread because it was merged?) Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Joel wrote:Can you clarify what this means for the case that it does not work?
I wish I knew, honestly...
Joel wrote:should we submit logs and information to help the developers fix it?
I don't think they've asked for details. If they needed logs, trust me, they would have asked for them...
Joel wrote: Or is it a feature that is given to us by the good grace of the developers, and if it doesn't work, we just accept that and move on to other things?
This one! :)
Joel wrote:Or is it now this thread because it was merged?
Exactly. And if you look at the VirtualBox on Windows Hosts area, you'll find the thread smack on the top of the list, with a light-bulb for an icon ... ;)
George J.
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Android, OSX

Post by George J. »

I guess, the million-dollar question is, “Does it work side-by-side with Hyper-V?”

Unfortunately, it does not work for me, it freezes as soon as it starts. In 9 seconds, to be exact. Attached VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log files.

I am using VirtualBox v6.0.4 r128413. Host is a 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Build 1809 (with all updates) with i7-4700MQ CPU and 32 Gb RAM.

I will not be hiding, I am running VMs with Windows, Linux and Docker under Hyper-V, all the time. What I am look for, is a VM to run Android and/or MacOS. It is clearly for development reasons. Migrating my infrastructure to another hypervisor platform is not an option.

Am I looking to the right direction?

Thanks,
George J.
Attachments
Logs.zip
Log files
(82.01 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
--
George J. Capnias
MCT Alumni, MCDP, MCDBA, MCTS
t: @gcapnias
MikeMueller

Post by MikeMueller »

For me it seems like this feature (Hyper-V support) is highly pre-alpha status so far. I couldn't get it to run any VM on two entire different systems.

Both devices are running Windows 10 Pro (1809, x64, Intel i7) with Hyper-V fully enabled. Also on both system Docker is installed and perfectly working, so Hyper-V is not the problem.

On the first device VirtualBox seems to start but doesn't load the guest os (x64 Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS).
On the second device VirtualBox doesn't start at all any VM. It only throws me this error message:

Code: Select all

A new session could not be opened for virtual machine Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. (translated)

(VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API).

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:ConsoleWrap
Interface:IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
On both devices is VT-x enabled. If i disable Hyper-V (uncheck Windows Features) I'm able to start on both systems any VM using VT-x.
Last edited by MikeMueller on 5. Apr 2019, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

George J. wrote:What I am look for, is a VM to run Android and/or MacOS.
"George J.", just a word of caution; OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware. We lock the topics that aren't about such a combination. More than two locks might lead you to a ban...
CarolM

Post by CarolM »

Just installed VBox Version 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.2) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (VM) for purpose of standing up PeopleSoft PUM image.

Another group does server patching, but it appears to be kept up to date; i see Security update KB4480963 was applied on 3/24/19 and KB2361484 was applied 4/2/19
The latest PeopleSoft appliance (OVA) was imported into VBox using the Oracle-supplied dpk methodology.
The process stopped "Unable to start the PeopleSoft VM (VBOX_8.57.03_SHELL). Please sart this VM manually and continue...."
When I try to start the VM manually in Vbox I get the error I see other people have received:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine VBOX_8.57.03_SHELL"
The native API dll was not found (C:\Windows\system32\WinHvPlatform.dll) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).
VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Because I saw references to Hyper-V in conjunction with this error, I checked and that feature is NOT listed as being installed on this machine. I saw references in the Windows services to various Hyper-V components, but none are running.

I am unclear if anyone has posted a resolution to this error, or workaround for starting the PeopleSoft VM.

Carol
Attachments
VBox.log
(30.27 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by socratis on 5. Apr 2019, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
00:00:02.882761 DMI Product Name: VMware Virtual Platform
00:00:02.886415 DMI Product Version: None
00:00:03.026401 WARNING! 64-bit guest type selected but the host CPU does NOT support HW virtualization.
Running VirtualBox in a guest of VMware is a type of nested virtualisation that isn't supported.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
CarolM

Post by CarolM »

Thank you, Andyp73.

I have done this at another shop, actually it was originally a physical box then it was virtualized (I don't know how the VM team did it) and Vbox continued to work.
I guess I will have to try another approach; again I appreciate your looking at it.

Carol
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That could well be. Andy did not say that it would not work, but that it was unsupported. It may or may not work.
Bill
nathaniel515

Post by nathaniel515 »

ionoskarl wrote:Hi nathaniel515,
I hvae just tried to open your log win10_VBox.log and my kaspersky antivirus has alerted my of malware. Only me or others have experienced the same?
I don't know why antivirus would be alerting on that- it's a plain text file. I uploaded it to VirusTotal to be sure, and it says no engines detected it: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/9d7a4 ... /detection

For those who are having success, any chance you could upload logs as well? I'm curious if there's some pattern between systems that do and don't work.