VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
WillFC

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by WillFC »

klaus wrote:Could you please provide the complete VBox.log file? It would tell us a lot, e.g. the exact Windows 10 build and many more details which are relevant in this context.
Full log attached. Trying to start VM as "Red Hat 64-bit".
Attachments
test vm-2020-05-05-14-58-09.log
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
bird
Oracle Corporation

Post by bird »

WillFC, are you able to check which "Windows Features" are turned on/off on your installation? Some screenshots of the dialog with relevant branches expanded would be great, or at least listing the "Windows Hypervisor Platform" and "Hyper-V" branch.

Cheer,
bird.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
WillFC

Post by WillFC »

bird wrote:WillFC, are you able to check which "Windows Features" are turned on/off on your installation? Some screenshots of the dialog with relevant branches expanded would be great, or at least listing the "Windows Hypervisor Platform" and "Hyper-V" branch.

Cheer,
bird.
Yup, screenshot attached.

I should also note I've spent a little time looking at software logs to see if any of the corporate nannyware might be blocking something, but don't see any indication of that.
Attachments
win-features.png
win-features.png (79.89 KiB) Viewed 61770 times
fdavidg

Post by fdavidg »

I have been unable to get VirtualBox to run on my Windows 10 Machine unless I uncheck the Hyper-V feature and the Windows Virtualization Platform features.

I am attaching pngs of the VirtualBox About screen. My Windows feature screen. My Processor information and My Windows 10 Build and Version information.

I am also attaching the VirtualBox log. Some of the information is in another post because of the 3 attachment limitation on posts! See next post!

I would hope that a developer or somebody at Oracle would take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong. I have scoured these forums ND REBOOTED MY SYSTEM SO MANY TIMES TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK.

Any and all help appreciated.

Frank D Gunseor

PS I can only attch 3 attachments to this post and most of the pngs I want to attch are to big. Why these restrictionas I am trying to provide the information you ask for.
Attachments
Windows Specifications
Windows Specifications
Windows_Specification_08.05.2020_14.13.14_REC.png (61.28 KiB) Viewed 61652 times
VirtualBox Invalis
VirtualBox Invalis
VirtualBox_Invalid_Settings_08.05.2020_14.11.22_REC.png (33.07 KiB) Viewed 61652 times
Virtual Box Error
Virtual Box Error
VirtualBox_Error_08.05.2020_14.10.20_REC.png (22.82 KiB) Viewed 61652 times
Last edited by fdavidg on 9. May 2020, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
fdavidg

Post by fdavidg »

Here are the rest of my pngs and the Log Files

And just for the sake of argument it does not matter if this is a docker provider or a vagrant file. I have tried this with Kali Linux and get the same results.

There is always an Invalid Settings Error. I can not use 64-bit OSs. They are not in the drop down list. I get the exact same Error Message.

AND YES VIRTUALIZATION IS TURNED ON IN THE BIOS!!!!

fRANK d gUNSEOR
Attachments
VirtualBox Error Message
VirtualBox Error Message
VirtualBox_Error_08.05.2020_14.10.20_REC.png (22.82 KiB) Viewed 61651 times
docker-provider-2020-05-08-14-09-58.log
VirtualBox Log File
(34.93 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Windows Features
Windows Features
Windows_Features_08.05.2020_14.09.05_REC.png (77.42 KiB) Viewed 61651 times
LuKePicci

Post by LuKePicci »

I've got a strange error while trying to get vbox use hyper-v backend.

Code: Select all

Cannot enable nested VT-x/AMD-V without nested-paging and unresricted guest execution!
(VERR_CPUM_INVALID_HWVIRT_CONFIG).
I have both Hyper-V (all subelements) and Windows Hypervisor Platform features enabled. Virtual Machine Platform is not enabled.
It was the same before I enabled Windows Hypervisor Platform.

Windows is version 2004 19041.264 64-bit
VBox is on 6.1.6

The guest VM I'm trying to run is an empty VM (no virtual drives attached) set to "64-bit Debian Linux". Everything about VT-x nesting is not greyed out and enabled in VM config. Paravirtualization is set to Default.
banga

VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by banga »

I also encountered problems since about three day and have tried several thing.
Three days ago I tested Windows Sandbox, afterwards my Virtualbox did not run anymore. I returned Sandbox settings but did not help.
I deleted whole Virtualbox environment and installed once again, did not help.
Attachments
Windows Feature.JPG
Windows Feature.JPG (110.98 KiB) Viewed 61303 times
W7 Prod-2020-05-17-11-44-24.log
(36.05 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@banga, if you are trying to go back to no-Hyper-V Virtualbox, then there's things you can do:

Your log contains these lines:
{timestamp} HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
{timestamp} NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...

You might notice in the guest window's Status Bar the green turtle: Image The choice of animal is appropriate: Your guest is running, just really slow. This is because a service that uses Microsoft Hyper-V is running on your host PC. Normally Hyper-V blocks Virtualbox. But your PC is of the type and OS where Virtualbox can attempt to run the guest using the Hyper-V engine. This arrangement is still being developed and isn't 100% yet.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, and nothing else is interfering with hardware virtualization (VT-x / AMD-V), then the usual virtualization icon (Image) will be seen in the Status Bar.

To turn Hyper-V off completely, do this:

1. Shut down all programs. You will have to reboot your host.

2. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. This tutorial has a couple more things to look for in step 2. Be sure these are all turned off.

3. Find the Command Prompt icon, right click it and choose Run As Administrator.

4. Enter this command:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
5. Enter this command:
shutdown -s -t 2
6. When the computer turns off, unplug it for 20 seconds. Then plug it in again and boot up Windows 10.

If your Virtualbox does not start successfully, zip and post another vbox.log. For further info, see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139 ... puter.html
zrav

Post by zrav »

On Windows 10 2004 (19041), with Hyper-V, Containers and Virtual Machine Platform enabled, I can run an Ubuntu 20.04 guest in Virtual Box 6.1.8 using PV set to Hyper-V (slow turtle mode). However, the guest is not stable. I experience segfaults, hangs and the computation of hashes like SHA256 fails, preventing me from successfully running apt-get update/install, for instance. It seems the feature is not yet ready for prime time.
I can't set hypervisorlaunchtype off as I need Docker on WSL2. I wish I could use VBox for my VMs instead of Hyper-V as the later has a few crucial shortcomings. With time we'll get there I guess.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

As things stand, the only way to run both on the same PC is to have two loader entries for the OS, one with and one without the Windows hypervisor. You need a reboot to change modes.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139 ... puter.html
Bill
kwinz

Post by kwinz »

The only way we will get this resolved for good without the buggy, and slow Hyper-V API is to have Microsoft enable nested virtualziation in the root domain.
According to Microsoft staff https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues ... -638409782 we are supposed to upvote on "user voice". This is the closest issue that I found: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/for ... nested-vir Please upvote!
vachigaggl

DO NOT (!!) use VirtualBox 6.1 with Hyper-V

Post by vachigaggl »

zrav wrote:On Windows 10 2004 (19041), with Hyper-V, Containers and Virtual Machine Platform enabled, I can run an Ubuntu 20.04 guest in Virtual Box 6.1.8 using PV set to Hyper-V (slow turtle mode). However, the guest is not stable. I experience segfaults, hangs and the computation of hashes like SHA256 fails, preventing me from successfully running apt-get update/install, for instance. It seems the feature is not yet ready for prime time.
I can't set hypervisorlaunchtype off as I need Docker on WSL2. I wish I could use VBox for my VMs instead of Hyper-V as the later has a few crucial shortcomings. With time we'll get there I guess.
I can second this.

DO NOT (!!) use VirtualBox 6.1 with Hyper-V

Here is my cautionary tale:
Running Linux on Virtualbox on a Windows 10 update 2004 host while having Hyper-V / WSL 2 active , I have managed to corrupt my entire Linux installation of a long running VM.
I had noticed random GUI applications like mate-terminal use 100% CPU and making the whole VM unresponsive. Firefox started randomly disappearing from screen.
I tried reinstalling the packages that were showing problems because I assumed some file corruptions in a low-level library, but finally wound up with an unbootable system.
Problems even occured when downloading software packages, the package manager refused to install them because of key corruptions (GPG issues) or checksum problems.

After all this had happened I did a memtest on the virtual machine which showed dozens of errors! A memtest on the host machine showed no problems.
After disabling Hyper-V, all problems went away and I was able to reinstall all packages using chroot - which was my luck.
svr

Post by svr »

VMWare is now officially supporting Hyper-V enabled Windows hosts: https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/20 ... -mode.html
Even without nested virtualziation in the root domain... So it looks like it can be done without it... I suppose that the Hyper-V API would be stable from now on with the official Windows 10 2004 release and VMWare supporting running VMs on it while Hyper-V is enabled.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I have had also same problem I was tried but it is not working :(

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu_CyberEss_1.

Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You have not read much of this thread if that is a surprise to you. Not even this page of it!
Bill